Fremer's Single-leg panel is absolute tweak bs

So a few months ago a video appears on Youtube with Michael Fremer and some electrical contractors installing a custom electrical service and extravagant ground rod array.

OK, but the one thing about it that’s absolute unnecessary tweaky BS is the idea of running a single leg to a sub panel, as well as only using one leg for the audio equipment in it. Who ever thought this was a good idea? It isn’t.

If you really want to get as high-end tweaky as you can this is the absolute wrong way. Run 6 gauge or larger to a sub pane.  In that sub panel you locate a 220V to 120V step down transformer and keep everything balanced all the way to the outlets. That is the best of all worlds.  High noise rejection, meets code, balanced current draw from both legs and extremely low voltage drop from the utility pole to the outlets.

Another good alternative is to run 220V to a wall outlet, and use a high quality step down transformer there. A 220V/30A circuit becomes 60A at 120V output. Running high voltage as close to the outlets as possible doubles your wire gauge effectiveness.

erik_squires

i will invite 'Rex' who is a local friend, and also the consultant to Michael Fremer who appears in the video, to join this conversation. i'm not qualified to debate these issues, i just listen. but he is for sure.

As for Fremer’s audio room power system:

A lot of audiophiles use a sub panel to feed their audio equipment. I would guess in most cases the sub panel is wired 120/240V. I would also guess that most audiophiles, not all, feed all there equipment, that is connected together by wire interconnects, to branch circuit breakers fed from only 1 Line. All from Line 1 or all from Line 2. Not from both. No different than if multiple 120V dedicated branch circuits were ran from the main electrical panel.

FWIW in Fermer’s case, I doubt if the total used listening audio equipment continuous FLA equaled more than 12 amps tops.

Other things found in a home that can draw 12A at 120V continuous:

Portable plug in Vacuum cleaner.

Central Vac system.

1500 watt 120V plug in electric space heater.

120V window A/C unit.

Above counter plug in toaster oven.

Some hair dryers. We have a 1875W hair dryer. FLA 15.63A.

I’m sure there are other 120V devices, appliances, equipment, that could be added to the list.

/ / / /

Any of you guys watch this interview video of Caelin Gabriel CEO of Shunyata?

Where does most of the noise come from on an audio system? The circuit designer,(maybe not all), dump’s it on the chassis of the equipment. Makes sense to me...🤔

I would really appreciate it if a new thread were created for discussions of circuit vs. chassis and safety grounds instead of intermingled here.

Lets keep this narrowly focused on discussions of 1 leg or 2 to a panel, and best practices. 

Thank you very much.

i use an Equi=tech 10WQ Wall Panel System which does use balanced power. my electrical contractor was fine installing it since it was in a separate building, for a dedicated room "only" resembling a commercial installation. i called it my ’studio’ to my contractor.

no water in the room, or children in the room. it was a purpose built room. which met the code. only my system gets plugged into that panel.

my barn also has a ’’dirty’ power separate panel.

@mikelavigne,

Sounds familiar...

Didn’t you PM me when you were looking at building a separate structure for your audio system asking about how you could get around NEC and the AHJ so you could install a hard wired 60/120V balanced power system in a residential dwelling unit?

Just going from memory I advised you to tell the builder to pull the permit for a light commercial occupancy which would be used as recording studio. Was that you that contacted me?

Jim

@jea48

hi Jim,

i do not recall talking to you. but i might have posted on the subject and you might have had a recommendation. or over the years we might have crossed paths about it. many have asked me about my Equi=tech.

added note; after thinking more about it, my recollection is that you and i did discuss either on line or in a PM about the issue of permitting after the fact. i did not get a permit for various reasons, but my contractor said he did not see any issue getting one if we had chosen to do so.

my room project was in 2004, at that time my room designer spec’d an Equi=tech Wall Panel System, but my budget did not allow for it, so i had a conventional 70amp panel installed as a place holder with the ground rod and 125 feet of copper in ground conduit from my main panel in my garage from my house.

my designer was Chris Huston, who had been designing mastering and recording pro studio installations for years.

then in 2010 i was able to have the 10WQ Wall Panel system installed and hooked up to my in place grid. it was a big jump up.