Why HiFi Gear Measurements Are Misleading (yes ASR talking to you…)

About 25 years ago I was inside a large room with an A-frame ceiling and large skylights, during the Perseid Meteor Shower that happens every August. This one time was like no other, for two reasons: 1) There were large, red, fragmenting streaks multiple times a minute with illuminated smoke trails, and 2) I could hear them.

Yes, each meteor produced a sizzling sound, like the sound of a frying pan.

Amazed, I Googled this phenomena and found that many people reported hearing this same sizzling sound associated with meteors streaking across the sky. In response, scientists and astrophysicists said it was all in our heads. That, it was totally impossible. Why? Because of the distance between the meteor and the observer. Physics does not allow sound to travel fast enough to hear the sound at the same time that the meteor streaks across the sky. Case closed.

ASR would have agreed with this sound reasoning based in elementary science.

Fast forward a few decades. The scientists were wrong. Turns out, the sound was caused by radiation emitted by the meteors, traveling at the speed of light, and interacting with metallic objects near the observer, even if the observer is indoors. Producing a sizzling sound. This was actually recorded audibly by researchers along with the recording of the radiation. You can look this up easily and listen to the recordings.

Takeaway - trust your senses! Science doesn’t always measure the right things, in the right ways, to fully explain what we are sensing. Therefore your sensory input comes first. You can try to figure out the science later.

I’m not trying to start an argument or make people upset. Just sharing an experience that reinforces my personal way of thinking. Others of course are free to trust the science over their senses. I know this bothers some but I really couldn’t be bothered by that. The folks at ASR are smart people too.

nyev

Science is many time interactive, but sometimes it requires a major adjustment in measurement, theorizing and retesting. Do we really know everything that should be measured to duplicate quality sound reproduction?

We have a half century of most accepting the Big Bang as generally descriptive of the universe that we see. At some point it was suggested that black energy and black mass existed. This gave us convenient theories to explain phenomena that we don’t understand.  Now, everything is up in the air.

Uncertainty of Science. ..

Absolutes in either direction are misguided. There is some usefulness in subjective listening and some usefulness in objective measurement.

Throwing either baby out with the bathwater is not smart in my opinion.

I would add that Amir also is adjusting his measurement methods and techniques as he learns more.  And there are others on that site that make different measurements than Amir and make interesting inferences about the measurement techniques and results  and the expected sonic consequences.

I don't know what ASR is, but the only way to ensure someone isn't being influenced by price, size, brand name, etc is to perform blind testing. Otherwise it's 100% opinion and you know what they say about those...

@jasonbourne52

re: quad 405 vs tubes.  It isn't that simple.  The 405 is well known as a "soft" sounding amp (extremes somewhat rolled off).

Two amps with different topologies may sound the same, but it is silly to infer that therefore ALL amps sound the same.  Ridiculous really...