Townshend Podiums

Hi, I’m using Townshend Podiums for a set of standmount speakers on sand-filled steel stands, on a carpeted floor. 

I’d like to have the speakers further into the room for listening some of the time. The speakers generally sound good where they are, but I enjoy letting them breathe at times. It’s a multi purpose room and the audio improvement doesn’t outweigh the hassle of having them always far into the room.

My question is, if I buy furniture sliders that are appropriately sized, could I slide the speakers into the room on occasion? (I would leave the sliders under the podium feet all the time.)

It’s a cheap try, just wondering if anyone had any experience to share.

Thanks in advance-

uncledemp

I don’t think it’s a good idea. The podiums allow for a free VERY mobile rocking motion. So much so that if you try to move the speakers, especially with stands, it will cause them to tip over.

Forget the idea.

ozzy

I don’t own Townsend but if you decide be careful or ask someone holding your speakers while you are pushing them to slide. 

These Everbilt Furniture Sliders are a perfect fit. They have remained under my Townsend Podiums from the getgo. They come with socks if you have a hardwood floor. Definitely, not decor friendly.

Recently, I did a major repositioning of my speakers (120 lbs each) on a thick pile carpet. They slid very easily. It would have been impossible to dial the toe-in without them. It’s extremely important to get down on your hands and knees to grasp the podiums - NOT the speakers. Slide very slowly. When repositioned, the pods on each podium will need to be realigned. Very carefully, tip the speaker back & forth to listen for rubbing of the pods’ shaft on the podium platform. Just realign by centering the pods’s shaft within the hole. It should take only a few seconds. The podiums won’t be working properly if the rubbing remains.

It would be a challenge to do this frequently. Good luck!