How much does a DAC do the more expensive it is?

Having spun an Oppo 105 for many years on its own before adding a Schiit Gungnir (bought for a generous steal from a wonderful seller here), I was immediately struck with how much more presence and detail the Schiit added to the Oppo's presentation. 

That Gungnir, even new, pales in comparison pricewise with 4 and 5 figure DACs I see for sale here.

So what do those much more expensive DACS do for sound? I mean, how much more information can be dug out of the digital files? Is it akin to what a good phono stage can do for a cartridge?

128x128simao

those without the money and/or knowledge will sometimes harbor envy

I don’t mean to burst your little groups bubble, but I don’t think there are many, if any, on this site who are envious of you.

Now mikelavigne’s system, that’s a whole different kettle of fish.

@ghdprentice Nice, and @jjss49, I'm not inclined to spend lots of money, relatively speaking, on a component just because it costs lots of money. My initial question was simply was better DACs (using money as a simple metric) would do for increased sonics. 

Like, I'm quite happy with my Oppo/Schiit digital end, despite people saying I could "do better" by improving/spending more on both components. I remember a listening session at another members' house several years ago in which his cd player cost more than my entire system at the time. But I don't remember the sound being that much more clear. Truthfully, I don't remember the sound at all. Sound, like taste, is a fleeting and illusory sensation. 

@simao

you likely know that you really can’t tell that a component change is better or worse for you unless you try it at some length in your own system

hearing something sound good in another person’s system only provides a rough notion of the potential a component may have in your own... there are so many other interceding variables .... otoh -- hearing something expensive sound mediocre or bad in another system tells you nothing useful, for the same reasons

with digital, it is not just the price/quality of the dac, but the streamer, the selected cabling/connection option, the purity of the local feed (there are many threads on this topic)... so it is even more complicated to get right than just paying up on a more expensive dac

this is where a good forum like this one, with many experienced, dedicated contributors, is useful... you can get a sense of who is using what, if they are happy, along with some idea on the overall quality of their system, and their dedication and experience level

just some quick examples, many well spoken, well established folks here do very well with aurender streamers, network acoustics and uptone audio lan cleansers, msb bricasti and weiss dacs are quite often cited, yet rarely (if ever) criticized (same for, say, dena pontus or mhdt orchid at a more modest price tier), and so on... reading all the contributions over a stretch of time, from credible contributors here, tells you something useful