How much does a DAC do the more expensive it is?

Having spun an Oppo 105 for many years on its own before adding a Schiit Gungnir (bought for a generous steal from a wonderful seller here), I was immediately struck with how much more presence and detail the Schiit added to the Oppo's presentation. 

That Gungnir, even new, pales in comparison pricewise with 4 and 5 figure DACs I see for sale here.

So what do those much more expensive DACS do for sound? I mean, how much more information can be dug out of the digital files? Is it akin to what a good phono stage can do for a cartridge?

128x128simao

I have nothing to add to what @ghdprentice so eloquently and politely wrote. As with everything in life, there is no free lunch

@ghdprentice 

Well said!!!

@jjss49 

those without the money and/or knowledge will sometimes harbor envy and thus express sentiments of ’awww well it won’t be good money spent anyways’ - getting the most out of life, as usual, is a function of what you put into it...

So true.

Charles 

those without the money and/or knowledge will sometimes harbor envy

I don’t mean to burst your little groups bubble, but I don’t think there are many, if any, on this site who are envious of you.

Now mikelavigne’s system, that’s a whole different kettle of fish.

@ghdprentice Nice, and @jjss49, I'm not inclined to spend lots of money, relatively speaking, on a component just because it costs lots of money. My initial question was simply was better DACs (using money as a simple metric) would do for increased sonics. 

Like, I'm quite happy with my Oppo/Schiit digital end, despite people saying I could "do better" by improving/spending more on both components. I remember a listening session at another members' house several years ago in which his cd player cost more than my entire system at the time. But I don't remember the sound being that much more clear. Truthfully, I don't remember the sound at all. Sound, like taste, is a fleeting and illusory sensation.