Opinion: Modern country is the worst musical genre of all time

I seriously can’t think of anything worse. I grew up listening to country music in the late 80s and early 90s, and a lot of that was pretty bad. But this new stuff, yikes.

Who sees some pretty boy on a stage with a badly exaggerated generic southern accent and a 600 dollar denim jacket shoehorning the words “ice cold beer” into every third line of a song and says “Ooh I like this, this music is for me!”

I would literally rather listen to anything else.Seriously, there’s nothing I can think of, at least not in my lifetime or the hundred or so years of recorded music I own, that seems worse.

bhagal

making good music is very difficult... it takes talent, passion, hard work and a great personality... In the case of country music, there is also personal pain - the harsh life of a farmer who has to dig several acres of rocky land with a fork under the scorching sun... A burst of such music expected in Ohio - all the fish died within an 80 mile radius ... precipitation from the sky falls on livestock and they die ... an environmental disaster.

As @bdp24 explains, “O Brother, Where Art Thou” is a must have Soundtrack for those who’d like to somewhat lick / wet one’s lips in the genre.

Dip your toes ………… :-)

There are only two kinds of music.

The kind of music I like, and the kind of music I don't like.

While I despise modern day country music, it is nowhere near as bad as 

rap/hip-hop. Of course, what would you expect. I’m just an old white guy in my

70’s who came of age during the folk scare and saw the Beatles live while in high school.

I would add that Americana (which I love) is not the only genre with quality country music. What I call "outlaw' country is very good - think Hank Williams Jr., Osborne Brothers, Chris Stapleton, Waylon Jennings, Townes Van Zandt, etc. You can find the genre represented very well in the movie Hell or High Water (produced by Nick Cave) or on SiriesXM channel called Outlaw Country.