Turntable channel imbalance

Hi there!

I’ve noticed that the left channel is a bit louder than the right when I play vinyl. This is the only source that has this issue. I have 2 carts and both exhibit the issue. With some records it is more noticeable than others tho.

Is there anything I can adjust?

I have Technics SL-B20D P-mount. TIA

leemaze

Thanks @joenies i figured as much. Was hoping there’d be a guide for hacking a p-mount deck. Maybe I should try un-balancing towards the right…

Fair, @lewm. On vacation currently but will reference a Mono LP and report back. I listened to the remastered CD version Of Zenyatta Mondatta in my most recent listening but I’ve noticed the left lean with many other of my records. 

@leemaze How many DB are you talking about? 1, 2 or 3 DB in channel imbalance? Does your balance control correct the imbalance? Hopefully it’s not more than 2 DB.

Please clarify for me, do you get an imbalance playing CD’s ? 
Difficult to analyze your problem from a distance.

Go thru all the suggestions one by one. Good luck, you’ll get there.

Joe Nies

Hi @joenies its very noticeable on some records, maybe more than 3 db. No imbalance with other sources. CDs have perfect centered imaging. I primarily listen to CDs and streaming. Vinyl is fun nostalgia for me. But some records sound so off I just put on the CD!

Your turntable is very old and basic. You only live once. Get a Pioneer PLX500 for $370 or a PLX1000 for $700 and enjoy life. Add an Audio Technica AT95E or VM540ML or Nagaoka MP110.