I was almost 14 yrs old when Burn was released, thankfully I think I have aged well.

128x128leadcrew

I was a big Deep Purple fan up until their album Burn.  I didn’t care for it but still went to see them in concert.  Did not then or now ever care for David Coverdale who before that was a teacher. I vividly remember a girl behind me at the concert spilled a gigantic coke drink right down my back (stadium style seating) when she OD’d and fell over on top of me.  I was quite angry but her boyfriend was a big goon, so I said nothing.  Very uncomfortable to sit at a concert with your back all sticky from soda.  Not a good time. 

I'm sure most fans consider Ian Gillan as the "voice" of Deep Purple. But, IMHO, Burn was a fantastic album and the addition of Coverdale and Hughes was a seamless transition. But these two artists were only band members for three years (3 albums) in the course of a very long existence of the band. Again, IMO, DP's best and most successful work was produced by what's known as the Mk II line-up with Gillan. With that said, some of my favourite songs are from Burn, the band was able to continue without missing a beat.

I find it odd and don't know the circumstances of how Glenn Hughes is able to retain the name "Deep Purple." At least his live show only includes music from his time in the band up until present day.