PS Audio S300 amplifier- tube preamplifier recommendation

So I've decided to explore Class D and based on some positive write-ups of the PS Audio S300, I've acquired a trial version. I'm currently using it with a Quad 99 pre preamp and it's currently working pretty well but I want to explore.

I'm hoping to hear experiences from users of this amplifier and a matching preamp. I'm not interested in the dac/pre from PS Audio or the Schiit Freya. Nothing against the Freya  (and Saga), I've just had some experience with this pre and know it's not for me. My preferences are tube but a strong match with a class A pre would also be ok. Only real requirement is a remote control and one that is well implemented. Budget is up to $2k. My source is an Rega CD Apollo-R and Blusound Node streamer with various DACs.

Any input is appreciated.

lmartinez_02170

@jbuhl thanks for the Rogue input. I might check this one out too. I see a few of these for sale on sites right now.

Check out Aric Audio. He makes a TUBE preamp whicH costs `$1700. I own one of his  preamps and amplifiers. Both products I  am very happy with.

@imartinez_2170 ..."I wouldn’t know as when I had it, I didn’t have the S300 and was rather using the Aegir.".

Referring to the type of sound you’ve shared, I’ve read pretty much the same comment by people about running ONE Aegir amp in stereo vs. two Aegir amps in mono. How do you know it was not the sound of the single Aegir amp being used vs. the Schiit Freya preamp results you were hearing. Did you happen to try the Schiit Freya with other amps later on or plan to?

@decooney thanks for the note. I did try the freya with an arcam sa10 (pass through used). It sounded very good too. Like I said, the "freya could be a great match for the s300". Maybe someday but for now I want to explore other.

lmartinez_02170 OP @decooney thanks for the note. I did try the freya with an arcam sa10 (pass through used). It sounded very good too. Like I said, the "freya could be a great match for the s300". Maybe someday but for now I want to explore other.

Sure. I was merely trying to understand if there was something about the sound of the Freya S you did not like in your test. If so, that’s okay too, no worries. Or, if it was for other reasons you did not prefer this preamp. Maybe aesthetic or other non-sound functional reasons. Would like to capture this detail since you did try it with a SA10. Checking for a colleague before he decided to order one or go a different path with a vintage unit. I still kinda think this one might be worth him trying, just for grins. I did see one comment it was "2D" and not "3D", whatever that’s all system dependent anyhow. If it was "flat" or "dull" to you in some way, please share more! that’s okay :) Heck, might even test one myself if there is a compelling reason to.

Was it a Freya with tube or Freya S w/out tube you tried?