How much does a DAC do the more expensive it is?

Having spun an Oppo 105 for many years on its own before adding a Schiit Gungnir (bought for a generous steal from a wonderful seller here), I was immediately struck with how much more presence and detail the Schiit added to the Oppo's presentation. 

That Gungnir, even new, pales in comparison pricewise with 4 and 5 figure DACs I see for sale here.

So what do those much more expensive DACS do for sound? I mean, how much more information can be dug out of the digital files? Is it akin to what a good phono stage can do for a cartridge?

128x128simao

There are some here who don't believe we are capable of doing an unbiased listening test, that we are gullible and want to waste money on gear we don't actually like...I rarely do a controlled test, but sometimes it's easy and fun...and great when results are unanimous...

@jasonbourne52 

Unless controlled listening tests are done all bets are off! A DAC is really just a sound card - and needn't cost four and five-figures! 

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Post removed 

Depends upon clean power, all cables and all components.  You need a quality source and analog side to hear value in your DAC