Hana ML teamed with Pro-Ject 1Xpression carbon classic and Rega Aria

i have been in the process of upgrading my main system. I think my next upgrade is the phono cartridge. 

I currently have a Ortofon 2M bronze and am looking to upgrade to a quality mid priced MC. My research seems to point to the necessity of pairing tonearm, cartridge and phono preamp. I picked the Hana ML based upon Steve Hoffman ‘The Big Moving Coil Cartridge Poll - $1000 to $1300’, then reading reviews of the top cartridges on that list. Looking for a neutral, quality sounding MC cartridge. My pro-ject model has the 8.6 cc Evolution tonearm. I know I will need a new counter weight. The phono cable is Mogami 2549, 1.5’ to phono preamp, so very low capacitance. 

My equipment:

Pro-ject 1Xpression carbon classic

Ortofon 2M bronze 

Rega Aria

Marantz 7015 AVR

LSA Warp 1 amp (driving fronts)

KEF R11s

KEF R2C

IsoAccoustics Aperta center stand

Klipsch KSW 12 (left over… next to go)

Mirage nanosat rears (also left over)

Mirage unit-theater (using 2 channel for Dolby rear height)

Bluesound Node

Schiit Modi multibit 2 DAC 

Qobuz 

Transparent + speaker cables

Mogami 2549 interconnects - with a few core power mixed in 

Thoughts on upgrading my system with the Hana ML? Any other recommendations?  Thank you  

128x128signaforce

Hi -

If I might ask what do you find lacking with the Ortofon Bronze?

You have some nice equipment; what is not sounding right for you?  Or do you feel that the Bronze is not in the same league as some of your other equipment?

Many thanks, 

Rich 

Thank you. I feel the 2m bronze may have a harshness to it, perhaps related to its 10khz peak, an issue with the 2M’s. I could potentially equalize it out, but like to listen to albums in pure direct. Some vinyl recordings sound wonderful, but others not so, particularly with upper vocals. I replaced my cables and moved from a Schiit Mani 2 to the Rega. Better, but not perfect. Listening to Anita Baker right now. Music is perfect, but her voice is not. Cat Stevens in the lower octave singing sounds great, but not in his upper octave singing. Maybe it is not the cartridge, but it is the next logical step. 
I also believe you splurge on speakers & cartridges for the largest impact on sound. 

Curious.  I had been using an Ortofon 2M Blue and vocals were not quite sounding right, they sounded off a bit, not as deep as they should sound, if that makes sense.

I swapped in a Goldring E3, a less expensive MM cartridge, and that helped, not the last word, but pretty good.

I am sticking with MM cartridges as I have a Decware ZP3 MM phono preamp.  My TT's are Technics 1210 & 1500.  I like direct drive, as well as bayonet cartridge mounting, as I have the option of swapping out cartridges.    

I did use a Hana EH cartridge.  I managed to damage the needle (dropped it or what happens when you have the option of swapping).  Vocals were vastly improved, especially male vocals, most noticeable on Elton John (live in Australia)  & Neil Young (live at Carnegie Hall).  

I have no experience with Hana's MC line or with the LSA amp, so I can not offer an observation from experience.  Can't imagine you going wrong given that you will be doubling your investment in your cartridge.  It is cheaper than doing the plunge into tubes, which was actually the game changer for me years ago.

Best regards,

Rich 

Yea, tough to do 7.1 with tubes. Interesting having similar problems with the 2Ms. 

I’m in the process of trying a variety of cartridges with my Technics SL-1200GR. I own the 2M Black which I think has a very distinctive, bold, detailed sound. I don’t think it is colored but it is a lot like adding a big dose of vibrance and clarity to the music to use some photographic terms. The 2M Black is the brightest cartridge I’ve tried but I didn’t find it harsh or irritating but sibilance was a bit exaggerated on some albums like Lorde’s Solar Power. I felt the 2M Black was more nuanced than the 2M Blue which seemed brash and too contrasty to me. I’m not sure what the difference to the Bronze would be. I like the 2M Black a lot and it is fairly differentiated from streaming which I think is a good thing.

The Technics VM540ML is a solid all around performer without a lot of distinctiveness to my ear. It actually compares pretty well to the Ania MC I have on my Rega P6.

The Grado Sonata 3 adds a kind of warmth that is well suited to a lot of music but I found the high end to be fairly rolled off. I’m still deciding if it is a keeper or not.

I don’t think I have the Denon DL-103 setup properly and I have ordered a heavier headshell to see if I can figure out why so many people love it.

I just got the Dynavector 10X5, not the MKII version. That is a cartridge that immediately sounded right with vocal music like Allison Russell. The 10X5 has a fabulous mid-range warmth and sense of space that is beguiling. Highs are a smidgen rolled off and it isn’t as detailed as the 2M Black but it definitely leaves a smile on your face with the right kind of music. I think I will end up preferring it to the Grado Sonata 3.

I have a AT-ART9XI coming this week. That will be the first truly high end cartridge I’ll have to try and I hope it will be the best.

I have yet to hear any of the Hana cartridges but the Hana ML definitely gets a lot of love. So no real help with your question but I thought you would enjoy hearing about my experience so far.

And in a very general way I’ve been surprised that to my ear the differences between the cartridges I have tried haven’t been bigger. I’m used to rolling tubes that often have big immediately obvious sonic differences.