Martin Logan CLS II New Panels (Worth it)?

I am currently using Magnepan LRS Plus speakers and am pretty happy. However, like many of us in this hobby it’s fun to try something different. I have the opportunity to buy some slightly working CLS II for a decent price. I have never listened to the CLS but have read they special speakers.  The panels will need to be replaced for approximately $2,800. Any advice from those out there that have had Martin Logan CLS’s and have also owned or listened to Magnepan’s . Would I be disappointed after the cost and effort of bringing these back to life? I favor speakers that are fast and transparent with a big soundstage. I would be pairing these with a JL Audio Fathom F113 to supplement the bass.  The other option is to upgrade my LRS Plus to Magnepan 1.7i.  Any thoughts? Thank you for any advice. 

Amplifier to power CLS will be a Levinson 432 

rick_hilton

I am a long term user of ESLs. The CLS is ML's best loudspeaker IF you use it with two subs crossed at 125 Hz by a dedicated two way crossover. If you are not prepared to do this then upgrade your Magnepans. The CLS with subs would be special, the Maggies are good but, not that good.

Thank you for the advice. It seems that the CLS will be a worth a try. In the past I owned the  Martin Logan Acent I. I loved the mids and highs, but didn’t not care for the built in woofer. So, I’m hoping that if I pair the CLS with some JL Audio Subs I will have a balanced sound. JL Audio makes a crossover that may work with the CLS and JL subs. 

CLS is a special loudspeaker worth repairing in my opinion. I've owned 2 pairs my friend bought one pair from me many years ago and still uses them today though he has upgraded and replaced parts.

The CLS is a fine loudspeaker, it would take properly driven Magnepan 20s to match them.

UPDATE

I just  picked up the CLS’s this morning. All I have to say is that I am blown away by these speakers. I can’t believe they were made in the 80s. The seller told me these speakers would buzz or rattle and moderate to loud volumes, and in my system there is no such issue. Pretty awesome! Thanks again for all that gave advice and recommendations. Definitely at good purchase.  Happy Listening!