Totem Model 1 vs Totem Arro

These two Totem speaker models had more or less the same price, and it was natural to choose between the two when one was interested in the Canadian brand.
The Arro is still currently on Totems catalog but the Model 1 is only available on the Signature version, much more expensive.
I have the Arro (love’em) and I wonder if the Model 1 is superior, specially in the bass quality?

Does anyone have any experience in comparing these two models?

[​IMG]

audiofilo123

Can I ask what amplifier do you use with the Model1?

I can’t recall but it would be either the Audio Research LS16/Plinius SA-100mk3 or Naim NAC202/NAP200/Hicap.

Good to hear that the Model 1s are an improvement to the Arro. That is all that matters. Enjoy.

I owned TOTEMs and I also currently run HARBETH 30.2 XD’s.

Between Model 1 and Harbeth M30.2 pre XD, I would pick the Harbeth. I presume the XD version would sound even better.

I have owned the SHL5 and SHL5+ for more than 10 years and recently moved to the Graham LS5/9 which is the M30.2’s equivalent / direct competitor. I still have a soft spot for M30.2 XD but wish to try something different. I’m sure the Harbeth would sound equally glorious.

There is just something special about the high frequency reproduction or treble quality of the Harbeth particularly the M30.2 versions. It’s smooth as silk as you can’t hear any sibilance, grain or harshness at the top. With other speakers, you hear some grain or sibilance.

@ryder sure the M30.2 are a bigger and more capable speakers - they are for years on my “to get” list, but they are a out of my reach for now. This Model 1 are mint used, bought from the Totem dealer, so I got a great price, in fact it was the chance to part-exchange the Arro also. I am happy for now.

But your description of the 30.2 highs response certainly make me smile. I am very sensitive to sibilant and hard sounds...

I certainly knew that the Model 1 need power and current to perform well, but I never thought that the 250w/4 ohms Vincent SV237MK, with is (usually) bass heavy sound signature was not enough! They paired ok but nothing to write home about! 

I will change some speaker cables and draw some conclusions...

Finally I am in the position to say a few words about the Model 1: wonderful stuff indeed! 

The upgrade from the Arro is very evident from the first note, the transparency the balance, the superior bass delivery, mid range presence and clear, detailed, non-fatiguing highs... are all signs of a very well balanced speaker, with amazing timbre quality and tridimensional imaging.

Now I understand how this was a shock when they came to market in the early 90’s, and stayed for long on the brands catalogue - the Model 1 Signature still existe. They were (are) not an cheap speaker to make. In fact they are all handmade.

The other day I had to take them to my dealer to move one of the cables on the inside (it was touching the bass reflex tube, making a tiny but audible vibration) and I could se the interior...oh my! My main surprise was that the crossover is a crazy thing (super complex), the drivers (Dynaudio and Seas with mods made by Totem), and WBT binding posts, are connect by a thin cable. After all that, the power loss must high - as they are power hungry - but Totem knows what they’re doing, and the sound quality is a testament of that.

The cabinet is very well made and the synergy with my Target R4 super heavy stands is great.

The Vincent SV237MK was my first amplifier of choice, for the power delivery and sound signature, and it turned out well, very well. After some speaker cables changes it was the (low cost, great value) VanDamme LO-OFC 4mm that help to produce the magic in my room. Sources are the Naim CD5x cd player (with the Flatcap2x power supply) and the Auralic Aries Femto + Denafrips Pontus II. Interconnects are the Belden 8402 with Switchcraft rca plugs.

I almost never use my REL subwoofer, specially with a speaker so pure as the Totem Model 1.

In my room, they are easy to position than the Kef LS50, and require absolute symmetry and distance from the boundaries. 

The first things I noticed (coming from the Kef LS50 and Quad 11L) was the timbre, timing and soundstage! Holy cow! The speakers completely disappeared (no toe-in) and the sound was huge. The decay is much more natural and the voices seem to have more presence, depth and air around. The idea of space around the players/instruments is far more realistic. For exemple: wood chops sound more like wood (with a natural hollowness) and cymbals have a spacial presence and decay very present but totally integrated in the sonic picture.

It is easy to get emotional and listen the same record over and over again...

The Model 1 (in combination with the rest of the system) made clear some mixes and special qualities in some recordings, making them more engaging and clear. 

They are addictive stuff, and I am really happy rediscovering my favorite records.

Thoughts on the Model 1, for another day:

1 - how better can they be with a superior higher current amp, from Sim Audio for example?

2 - what can the Signature model offer more? ...although 

I really don’t care. I am having to much fun :)