Kuzma Stabi R mat?

Just received my new Stabi R.  It is a very nicely built table and sounds more present and dynamic than my previous setup.  I am currently using a Etna SL on a Kuzma 4P9 on the right wing.  Initial impressions are that this is a synergistic group (cartridge/arm/table) and allows deep information retrieval. 

This is my first Kuzma table.  In the past I used various turntable mats until I settled on the sound of the Achromat.  The Kuzma looks engineered to use its own integral mat (which is cushioned) and not an aftermarket addition.  Just wondering if any other Kuzma users out there use a specific matt?  I am inclined to use no matt at all given the table surface seems designed to do just that.  I have also never had a spindle with threads for a screw down record clamp. I have the heavier HRS record weight which did nice things with my previous table in combination with the achromat.  Any one using the screw clamp with their Kuzma? 

128x128karl_desch

I can't speak to the "R" but I've owned a Kuzma Reference and still use an XL, which has a bonded fabric mat of some sort. My suggestion is to talk to Franc and to Scot Markwell (if you are in the States, he is the U.S. distributor). Both may have ideas to help you, though presumably chose the mat that came with the table for good reason. 

I did change out the factory clamp on the XL for the Stillpoints record weight a number of years ago. I find it more "pacific"-- there was an upper bass bump using the factory clamp that gave a propulsive aspect to the sound. Compared to the Stillpoints, less prominent bass, more relaxed sound. I adjusted other parameters, including the woofers, to accommodate the clamp change. I've gone back and compared factory to Stillpoints a few times since and still prefer it to the factory clamp.  

Franc does make an ebony record weight which I haven't tried. Not as crazy expensive as the Shun Mook but still pricey. 

Good luck, Franc does nice work, is a nice man and I've found his support for the products to be second to none. If I ever get to Slovenia, I'm gonna visit him. 

i have heard that table / arm w Kuzma CAR-50…. very nice. I don’t recall a mat, i can ask. Ed at Audio Ultra in Seattle would know - his table. I have a Brinkmann which has a screw down clamp and a Denon DP-75 w a SOTA reflex, i get great results with both.

As for Ebony….i think the really big $ are Ebony ROOT…. so i plan to dig deep, just not in the wallet… ha

Best to all in music

It all probably comes down to tuning what you’re hearing in a well treated room. Recording dependent and user dependent.

@karl_desch , the mat on the Kuzma is similar to the mat on the Sotas. It has a durometer matched to vinyl. The clamp is critical. It is a reflex clamp. It literally flexes the record into the mat to flatten it. SME uses the same system. It is not just a record weight. The only clamping system that is better is vacuum driven.

Do not play around with the Kuzma it is a well engineered table. If you want to improve its performance put it on a MinusK platform and have a hinging dust cover made for it. You can also mount any arm in the world on it, get a Schroder LT!

What phono stage are you using with your SL?   I just got my Atlas SL and am getting use to it.