Totem Model 1 vs Totem Arro

These two Totem speaker models had more or less the same price, and it was natural to choose between the two when one was interested in the Canadian brand.
The Arro is still currently on Totems catalog but the Model 1 is only available on the Signature version, much more expensive.
I have the Arro (love’em) and I wonder if the Model 1 is superior, specially in the bass quality?

Does anyone have any experience in comparing these two models?

[​IMG]

audiofilo123

Best bet Powering your TOTEMs ,,,, SIMAUDIO

SIMAUDIO and TOTEM are both in Montreal and mutually used to voice each others product. A TOTEM/SIMAUDIO partnership is arguably the ideal stablemates.

Here is your Holy Grail .... the TOTEM AMBER integrated amp. This is a now discontinued high-current beefy integrated amp that is a mutha of a beast It was JV between SIMAUDIO and TOTEM , wherein TOTEM had a bespoke custom designed product built for them to their specs and speaker line by SIMAUDIO, based on the SIMAUDIO platform.

SUITABLE ALTERNATE CHOICES (also seen set-up with TOTEMs at audio expos). These are contenders and no pretenders.

PLINIUS, AYRE

. I’ve auditioned TOTEM ARROs and FORESTs paired with NAIM upstream numerous times at dealers after I sold off mine.

My take: not the best option…. System synergy matters .

NAIM with TOTEM was a step down from any of the three brands listed above,..and compared to the ones herein, it was not subtle. 

I have a lot of admiration for NAIM paired with Brit speakers (NEAT, KUDOS, REGA, ROYD, ( insert any of the BBC monitor derivatives); etc. etc …….and French offerings from JMR and FOCAL),,,, but just not so much with TOTEMs

Hey…some drive Fords and some drive Chevys… Whatever stirs your drink.

carry on, sir!

@akg_ca, I didn’t knew about the existence of a Totem integrated amplifier neither the connection with Sim Audio! Thanks :)

I have enjoyed all Celeste / Sim Audio / Moon components that I have experienced but never owned any. A few years ago I almost bought a mint  i-5 integrated...

I really enjoyed my Naim rig with the Totem Arro, specially with the Nac A5 speaker cable. Now, that I have the more demanding Model 1, let’s see if the results are equally good.

As I write I am using the Cayin CS-55a (KT88) tube integrated - the last amp that was used with the Arro - with satisfying results, but I suspect that the Vincent SV237MK will do a better  combination, and I also have the Rogue Sphinx and the NAD C275BEE to try.

The Model 1 are so much more transparent with a bigger dimensionality to the sound, that I am really amazed by them. What a magic trick from such a small box!

@audiofilo123

the TOTEM MODEL 1’s do crave solid state “grunt”. ( All TOTEMs do …)The better the upstream fed, the better performances overall.

I had the NAD C370 integrated amp initially to pair up to the ARROs initially (predecessor to the C275BEE on your audition list.) It was “ok if you like the bespoke NAD sonic signature that is on the dark side with a rolled off top end. It wasn’t my thing , so I swapped it out for the top model ARCAM FMJ integrated amp ….. It was for my “B” system, so I didn’t go that extra mile for a SIMAUDIO .

I still stand behind my post that SIMAUDIO is still the best partner for TOTEMs that I have heard . I’ve also heard them with AYRE and PLINIUS …. Sweet too .…but SIMAUDIO still had that extra ethereal bit IMO with TOTEMs.

FWIW, My current amp is the REGA OSIRIS integrated amp driving HARBETH M30.2 XD’s ,,,,it’s well worth an audition and I”m most confident that it would impress you further with the Model 1’s …. if you can live with the added strain on your wallet.

budgets matter big time for sure. Audition what you can , think about inserting a SIMAUDIO into the mix last if you csn, and have fun sorting out the contender(s) from the pretenders . This hobby is a journey and never a destination in our stroll down the Yellow Brick Road to Audio OZ. Excluding my OSIRIS, The SIMAUDIO is one that I might consider on a blind purchase on a hot deal .

choose wisely, and carry on sir!

PS If you are married to your TOTEMs and you see an AMBER integrated amp on the resale market … dive on it FWIW

last one I saw posted below. I suggest that you look for one on CANUCKAUDIOMART 

@akg_ca, it is funny, my dealer has the Rega Osiris always ready for a listen, and for a moment I thought of asking him to connect it to the Model 1 but my wallet conscience stopped me. I knew that I would like it a lot but it is 8000+ euros!

I just connected the Vincent for the weekend, so let’s see how it goes :)

I had been in touch with a company that sells Totem as I was interested in those speakers having heard the Totem Sky in a demonstration. They told me that Totem was coming out with a new speaker, the Bison in around the same price area for the bookshelf version. Don't know anything about it and haven't heard it but you might want to investigate. 

Here is a link to the announcement:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2022/12/09/totem-acoustic-introduces-the-bison-series-announcements/