Totem Model 1 vs Totem Arro

These two Totem speaker models had more or less the same price, and it was natural to choose between the two when one was interested in the Canadian brand.
The Arro is still currently on Totems catalog but the Model 1 is only available on the Signature version, much more expensive.
I have the Arro (love’em) and I wonder if the Model 1 is superior, specially in the bass quality?

Does anyone have any experience in comparing these two models?

[​IMG]

audiofilo123

Well if you had the 8150 then you know what to expect with the 9200.  Only with the 9200 you'll get so much more.  Plus if you're in Europe you're playing in 220v.  The 9200 in 220v sounded as good as their separates. I'm in the US and at the time I ran a dedicated 220v circuit just for my Plinius.  Never tried Truss cables.  Good luck in your search.

I’ve owned the TOTEM ARROs and TOTEM FORESTs in prior systems , so ai know the TOTEM sonic signatures, strengths, and warts very well.

which speaker model you choose will be predicated by the amount of “grunt” ( and that means current = amps ….WPC alone are meaningless) it can deliver. TOTEMs are power hogs …the ARRO is easier to drive in my experiences, But the small midrange / bass driver means compromise on bass reproduction based on elementary physics.

I experimented with numerous speaker cables, from budget to the expensive. In short, I’d stick with the Ag coated over Cu models. The ones that immediately come to mind are the CHORD RUMOUR X , CHORD ODYSSEY, and TOTEM TRESS

MY TAKE

- Save your cash and don’t blow the wad on expensive speaker cables. Rather, stay with the mid-priced ones listed above. Expensive options disappointed …they produced somewhere between negligible / minimal / meh? depending on the rest of your system,

- The TOTEM TRESS are in-house cables modelled after the class-leading CHORDs, specifically the original RUMOUR.( current model is now the RUMOUR X)

- I like the CHORD ODYSSEYs in that are identical in materials and build to RUMOURs EXCEPT FOR being a double thickness. It made for a bit more slam and dynamics for me. BUT …they cost double too so it may be a non-optimal choice for some in the $$$ vs VALUE proposition.

- The TOTEM speakers are internally wired with their in-house TRESS cables… it’s intuitive that extending the same cable or proxies works well.

MY FAVE:

the CHORD RUMOUR X as the premier $$ to performance choice. Curiously, I’m guessing that their bespoke upgraded shielding when compared to the TRESS,, and an ethereal “who knows exactly why” factor were a slightly better performance reasonin my system.

The RUMOUR X model is a class leader rated contender and no pretender

they are $$$ comparable to the TRESS.

The high frequencies of the Model 1 sound a bit harsh and unrefined to me but that was when the speakers were compared to Harbeth SHL5 in my system about 10 years ago. Perhaps the Model 1 Signature sounds more refined at the top in comparison to the original Model 1.

@ryder

+1

I owned TOTEMs and I also currently run HARBETH 30.2 XD’s.

the TOTEMS are generally fine at their price-points with their own fans IFF

- they have a suitable high-current capable amp  to drive them, and

- you accept a few.warts to go along with their strengths , and

- you prefer their bespoke sonic signature ….

BUT…. - as @ryder has pointed out- , a move up to HARBETHs are a distinct step-up in audio performance (and price ,,,) that is not subtle .

@marco1, yes you’re right, if the 9200 is even better than the 8150 then 

it will be a wonderful thing.

@akg_ca, thanks so much for all the information and tips. I had the Chord Odyssey a few years ago, to use with my Naim pre-power amp, but prefered Naim’s own Nac A5.  I will try to borrow some Truss to test at home and report back.

@ryder, I am already listening to the Model 1 in the same place the Arro were last night and fortunately I am enjoying the sound, specially the highs. It is a much more transparent speaker, with a larger soundstage and more robust bass. But above all, it is the depth that surprises me the most.

Can I ask what amplifier do you use with the Model1?