Dylan's Time Out of Mind remix is Stunning

"Time Out of Mind" was always a powerful record, despite the murky original mix.

Now, with most of the sonic muck that producer Daniel Lanois smeared onto the music scraped off and rinsed away, it's full glory is revealed. Abetted by terrific SQ, its impact is stunning.

The old mantra "original mixes are always better" is blown out of the water by this. 

For my tastes, this is one of the best releases in the Bootleg Series-- a dream come true for Dylan lovers-- and one of the best Dylan releases since "Blood on the the Tracks". 

Lyric fragments keep cycling in my head. . . 

"People on the platforms

waiting for trains

I can hear their hearts a beatin'

like pendulums swingin' on chains"  

stuartk

@bdp24 

"... he needed them far more than they needed him". 

In terms of guitar playing, I'd readily agree but given the disparity of opinions regarding who wrote the songs, I don't know what to think. 

I love the Daniel Lanois produced Robbie Robertson S/T album.

And! I WAY prefer Lucinda Williams - "Sweet Old World" to her later version - "This Sweet Old World". Excitedly purchased "This Sweet Old World" on vinyl when it was first released. 2 passes through it, and back to the record store it went towards trade-in credit.

reubent

Another +vote for RR s/t album/cd. I also, enjoy Lucinda Williams "Sweet Old World"

Happy Listening!

I just put the new Time Out Of Mind in the Que.  Looking forward to hearing it.

Thanks @stuartk for the review.

I am a lifelong Dylan fan and completist.

Given the opportunity to hear competing mixes made at the time or later, nearly every time I feel the best choice of mix was made for the original release.  This applies for other artists than BD.  This may be because the team was hot in the original sessions.  It may be that I have become so accustomed to the mixes released at the beginning that I subjectively feel anything else is wrong.

Where a new mix is made many years after the first sessions, the original artist is not involved in their creation.  So BD almost certainly approved the new mixes but equally certainly was not involved in making them.

I feel there is a tendency to create new mixes just for the sake of it, or even as a gimmick.  This would apply to the Beatles remixes issued some years ago when John, George and George Martin were not involved at all.

Specifically on the TOOM mixes I find most of these inferior to the originals.  Many are musically less complex and for me tonally less engaging.

It is reported there were more than 30 studio takes of Like A Rolling Stone.  The band and producers had pretty much given up before the released take was recorded.  It is said Dylan was ready to abandon the song, as he abandoned some other great works in the years after 1966.  The released take is acknowledged as one of the greatest tracks ever recorded.  It has never been re-mixed.