Power cord length

I upgraded all my power cords to Nordost Red Dawn. My cabinet sits directly in front of outlets. I have McIntosh MC830 monoblocks. Originally I purchased 2m lengths but don't like all the extra cord clutter so purchased a 1m length for left channel amp. After the fact I read Nordost spec sheet which stated minimum length 2m is recommended. Dealer stated "2m works the best for it to really filter". Also, both cords must be same length for "time alignment"; when using monoblocks "different length wires will sound slightly different". I am thinking to buy another 1m for right channel to solve timing thing and additional clutter cleanup. Ok, that's my situation- I am requesting explanations/opinions/knowledge/recommendations-  I read a similar post awhile back and  seek additional clarification. Thank you.

wrighton

I made all of my power cords to length with Furutech components. The cords to my mono blocks are different lengths and I cannot tell any difference. I was trying to cut down on cord clutter behind my racks. 

I have one of the older style, braided Audioquest Hurricane Constant Current (source) cables that is 2m, and the rest are the new non-braided 3m Hurricanes.

I don’t know if it’s the length, or the fact that the Audioquest’s design changed (no longer braided). But, the new 3m power cords do sound clearer with more dimensionality. The old 2m cable was flatter sounding, but also more immediate. When I did the test, I was actually expecting the opposite. It pains me slightly not knowing if the differences I’m hearing are due to length or the fact that Audioquest adjusted their design.

I only started considering cable length when I, totally by accident when I wasn’t considering cable lengths, discovered that a 2m Nordost Valhalla 2 USB cable sounded far superior to the equivalent 1m USB cord. Another case where I would have been expecting the opposite if I was actually testing for it. That’s how big the difference was: I wasn’t even testing for the lengths or comparing between cables. I have a USB reclocker so need two USB cables and I was trying my system without the reclocker. I noted my system sounded worse than normal even without the reclocker, so I tried replacing the 1m cable with the 2m, and was quite stunned by the difference. I also tested the Audioquest Diamond .75m cable which sounded closed in compared to the 1.5m version.

A few audiophile contacts I have that are technically inclined and have nothing to gain by propagating myths tell me that for USB, 1.5-2m is best because of “reflections”. Something about the signal handshaking and having to “reflect” back I think. I don’t know if this applies to all digital cables or just USB. For what it’s worth, Nordost recommends 1.5m for “digital cables”.

After my experience, I begrudgingly accept the manufacturer recommendations on 2m for power cords (even though I’ve not proven length to be the reason for the difference I heard) and that digital cables should be 2m, and that analog interconnects should be shorter.

OK, "Just for clarification."

Most here seem to believe that keeping the (Speaker cabling), the same length makes sense. "Time alignment".

Me too. 
But that keeping the power cabling to (Mono-Block), amplifiers the same length is a 'a wee but nuts.

So, you believe the charge in the speaker cabling (signal).

And it is somehow moving at a rate that you "can" hear. But the charge which first amplifies that exact same, (signal), and then sends that (Packet), of charge, on it's merry way, "Via- your speaker cabling" to your musical transduction system, (speakers), does not matter?

"Wha?!?"

If one set of cabling which allows your signal to get from one place to another at the same time matters, (Coherence). The they (ALL) matter. 

Period.

"Unless you have a rig that cannot resolve to the point where this would ever matter.

But that is another discussion entirely..."

But do realize that all of the power, "As it regards to your home power system".

Each and every circuit, is always classified by its particular "Phasing".

And before anyone shouts, "Snake oil".

There is a piece of equipment called a "Phase Rotation meter" where even "You" can see in real-time, that it is not snake - oil.  

That this is a real thing. with a speed that a piece of equipment costing only a few hundred bucks. Can read and then express to you, - The rotational value of any and all circuitry in your homes electrical system. And also, the (Order of Rotation).

And regardless of the nomenclature used, - (Phase/ing, Time- Alignment, Coherence, Stereo Imaging and on and on,,,etc.). These are all adjectives expressing the 'Exact", same variable and it's value, (Time).

Because most of this particular hobby. Is about time!

Am I getting any traction here?