Do You Play Or Save Your Best Cartridges

I suspect I am like many here, I have a small collection of cartridges. Until recently I would keep a casual playing cartridge set up and I would save my "good" cartridges for evening listening sessions where I am focusing on listening to music at the listening chair. I always had a casual cartridge mounted on an arm, maybe an Audio Technica OC9 III or something along those lines. These days its either an Ortofon MC3000 II or MC5000. 

Earlier this year I finally decided to use the DAC in my Trinov pre amp, and this involved getting a subscription to Roon, and hardwiring the computer and preamp to the router with CAT 6 ethernet cable. The sound is remarkably good, to the point where this can easily be my casual listening format. 

I almost wonder if its necessary to have a casual cartridge. Or should I just play my best ones as often as I want and bite the bullet and know I am getting a new diamond fitted every few years. 

Anyone else go through this kind of decision process?

neonknight

At 74 years old, I listen to my best cartridge the Ortofon Cadenza Black. While I have a back up to use, it would only be used till I get the Ortofon replaced or rebuilt. 

My digital is pretty good, so that is my casual go to. I also listen to digital for more critical listening. I only listen to records when nobody is home to remind me that I’m wasting my time and avoiding my long to-do list. Even my dog refuses to enter my listening room. This is a room that could have been used for so many things. My wife suggests that like the model home, it could have been the children’s play room. I quickly point out that our youngest is 16 and we already have a dedicated office and a theater room for the kids. Anyway, records only when alone.

this is a new level of insanity. Why don't you guys put the cartridge in a glass safe and watch it. You can play the song in your head :)

I have more than 150 vintage cartridges, 1955-2021. Every cartridge presents a different sonic signature, different compromises, different qualities of detail, imaging, speed, FR, focus, clarity, etc. Every cartridge does. I change cartridges 2-3 times per day. It’s doubtful that I’ll wear out any styli in my lifetime.

I enjoy listening to mono records on a 1957 GE VRII. Maybe a few stereo records on a GE VR1000. Perhaps a Grado. Maybe an Empire 108, or Pickering U38. Maybe a Shure M44, or M95, or M97 Era IV. Maybe a V15V-MR, or V15VxMR. Maybe an Empire EDR.9. Might go to the ADC Astrion or XLM MKI, or ZLM MKIII. Maybe a Koetsu Rosewood. Maybe a Dynavector. Or go to a Pickering V-15, or XV15 1200E. Or a Stanton 681EEE. Maybe an Ortofon SuperOM 40. Maybe an AT 12XE. 

I find value and great enjoyment listening to the different sonic signatures. Same for turntables. Swapping out a Denon DP52F for a Garrard Zero 100. Or a 1963 Garrard AT6 changer. Or a 1976 Garrard GT55. Or a Linn Sondek LP12. Or a JVC QL Y7F. 

Since I work from home, I may put a stack of 6 LPs on the Zero 100, with the ADC XLM MKIII and let them play. 

Or switch to a 1962 Weathers 66 and play using the Weathers LDM cartridge. 

Every one is a gem in its own right. There is no “best.” Just a different mix of compromises. Like swapping out DACs.

@wolfie62 

I believe you... because.... no one can make this stuff up :)

I have to add, if you have to go full crazy, better to collect cartridges than guns. No one ever died from negligent handling of a cartridge. 

and you must be some genius or cyborg if you can handle 150 cartridges in your head with distinct info about their sound.