Do You Play Or Save Your Best Cartridges

I suspect I am like many here, I have a small collection of cartridges. Until recently I would keep a casual playing cartridge set up and I would save my "good" cartridges for evening listening sessions where I am focusing on listening to music at the listening chair. I always had a casual cartridge mounted on an arm, maybe an Audio Technica OC9 III or something along those lines. These days its either an Ortofon MC3000 II or MC5000. 

Earlier this year I finally decided to use the DAC in my Trinov pre amp, and this involved getting a subscription to Roon, and hardwiring the computer and preamp to the router with CAT 6 ethernet cable. The sound is remarkably good, to the point where this can easily be my casual listening format. 

I almost wonder if its necessary to have a casual cartridge. Or should I just play my best ones as often as I want and bite the bullet and know I am getting a new diamond fitted every few years. 

Anyone else go through this kind of decision process?

neonknight

I don't have a removable head shell, but if I did, I would not be swapping out carts. Streaming is what I go to for casual listening.    

vinyl is not that good (and I listen 70% of my time to vinyl and I love it) to think cartridges will make such a difference

They do. But the upgrades are pricy. I went from an AT33ev ($450) to Hana ML ($1200) to Aidas CU Multicolor ($4,350). All huge differences, I'd buy another Aidas in a heartbeat but they re-tip/rebuild so hopefully I dont have to.

@macg19 

if you can hear the difference and can afford it, they sure do. Some people's entire system cost less than your cartridge

@grislybutter Absolutely. I am fortunate that I have a decent job, no kids and a wife that is reasonably understanding about my obsession.

Some folks here have speakers that cost way more than my entire system so I guess it's all relative:)

@macg19 of course it is. Although diminishing returns must play a role. Our ears can only do so much for us. I tend to think that there is a price point where you get the best return for a given media and room size ("normal people's" room)

Yes, but our own auditory equipment is deteriorating daily. I'm with @mulveling  on this - use your best until you discover something better.