Do You Play Or Save Your Best Cartridges

I suspect I am like many here, I have a small collection of cartridges. Until recently I would keep a casual playing cartridge set up and I would save my "good" cartridges for evening listening sessions where I am focusing on listening to music at the listening chair. I always had a casual cartridge mounted on an arm, maybe an Audio Technica OC9 III or something along those lines. These days its either an Ortofon MC3000 II or MC5000. 

Earlier this year I finally decided to use the DAC in my Trinov pre amp, and this involved getting a subscription to Roon, and hardwiring the computer and preamp to the router with CAT 6 ethernet cable. The sound is remarkably good, to the point where this can easily be my casual listening format. 

I almost wonder if its necessary to have a casual cartridge. Or should I just play my best ones as often as I want and bite the bullet and know I am getting a new diamond fitted every few years. 

Anyone else go through this kind of decision process?

neonknight

No good to save.  The rubbers or similar in the suspension degrade and your cart will need rebuilding before you can use it.

If you must store carts, make sure it is at low temperatures with medium humidity so that the suspension elements do not dry out.

But best to listen to them for Gxxxx sake.

I don't have a removable head shell, but if I did, I would not be swapping out carts. Streaming is what I go to for casual listening.    

vinyl is not that good (and I listen 70% of my time to vinyl and I love it) to think cartridges will make such a difference

They do. But the upgrades are pricy. I went from an AT33ev ($450) to Hana ML ($1200) to Aidas CU Multicolor ($4,350). All huge differences, I'd buy another Aidas in a heartbeat but they re-tip/rebuild so hopefully I dont have to.

@macg19 

if you can hear the difference and can afford it, they sure do. Some people's entire system cost less than your cartridge

@grislybutter Absolutely. I am fortunate that I have a decent job, no kids and a wife that is reasonably understanding about my obsession.

Some folks here have speakers that cost way more than my entire system so I guess it's all relative:)