Dylan's Time Out of Mind remix is Stunning

"Time Out of Mind" was always a powerful record, despite the murky original mix.

Now, with most of the sonic muck that producer Daniel Lanois smeared onto the music scraped off and rinsed away, it's full glory is revealed. Abetted by terrific SQ, its impact is stunning.

The old mantra "original mixes are always better" is blown out of the water by this. 

For my tastes, this is one of the best releases in the Bootleg Series-- a dream come true for Dylan lovers-- and one of the best Dylan releases since "Blood on the the Tracks". 

Lyric fragments keep cycling in my head. . . 

"People on the platforms

waiting for trains

I can hear their hearts a beatin'

like pendulums swingin' on chains"  

stuartk

@stuartk 

That's cool, we all have different tastes in production.

For example I could never stand what Steve Lillywhite did to the Pogues third album, If I Should Fall from the Grace of God. For sure it sounded clean and tidy, but it also sounded small and squeezed and squashed.

It just wasn't the Pogues and it just didn't breathe.

A massive disappointment after the Elvis Costello produced Rum, Sodomy and the Lash 2nd LP that was everything it's successor wasn't.

I guess production style, like guitar playing is mostly a matter of taste. Some like Hank B Marvin some prefer Hendrix. Some might even like both.

I'm sure that this remix will become an interesting adjunct to the original, but it's hardly likely to replace it, is it?

@rpeluso 

I find it impossible to accept Dylan being intimidated by anyone in a studio.

Me neither.

Virtually right from the start of his recording career, like the Beatles were, he's been very much his own man. The other great thing is that he does seem to care about sound quality and he's forever chasing that perfect sound in his head.

His comments from a few years back about the large sonic losses from studio to CD/LP were interesting too.

I wonder if he still feels the same way today?

I've always liked Time Out of Mind... and didn't mind the murky because I thought it went with the overall theme and tone of the album, but I'll be interested to hear the remix.

Oh, hey: Anyone who wants to hear the Spector Wall-Of-Sound applied really successfully to Rock ’n’ Roll, get a copy of Dave Edmunds’ 2nd album, Subtle As A Flying Mallet. For those unfamiliar with Dave, he is a Chuck Berry and Everly Brothers-influenced guitarist and singer (and record producer: The Every Brothers, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, The Stray Cats, Carlene Carter, etc.), but on this album he went into Rockfield Studio in Wales and came out with an amazing assortment of recordings, some songs ("Da Doo Ron Ron", "Baby I Love You", "Maybe"---a fantastic song by The Chantels, "Let It Be Me"---The EV Brothers, Dylan did it on Self Portrait, "Born To Be With You"---a Dion song) complete with an incredible recreation of Spector’s sound.

Each side of the LP closes with a live recording, Dave backed by the UK band Brinsley Schwarz (whose bassist was Nick Lowe, later Dave’s partner in the super-group Rockpile), performing blistering versions of two Chuck Berry songs: "No Money Down" and "Let It Rock". 100% American Rock ’n’ Roll! Makes The Stones sound like the wankers they are ;-) .

@cd318 

Yes-- I'd agree it's subjective. Consider the varied reactions to Giles Martin's Beatles remasters! 

@bdp24 

Another one: what's that Blues lyric... "I'd rather drink muddy water and sleep in a hollow log than (fill in the blank) and be your dog"? Something like that...