Left RCA out on DAC not working

Hi guys,

As per title, the Left out RCA socket on my DAC is not working properly.

It will work, but only with RCA plugs with non-metallic shrouds, such as AECO plugs. I only discovered the issue when I went to try other interconnects. I started off with my Lavri Grand ICs which have AECO plugs, but all my ICs with metallic shrouds around the pin don't work at all.

The DAC is relatively new; I contacted the distributor, and he thinks it's a badly soldered ground on the inside of the chassis. He's ordered me a new unit, but has been admitted to hospital for major heart surgery, so I may have a bit of a wait 

Anyway, is he correct in his assumption of a bad ground solder inside on the Left RCA out?

Thanks in advance

128x128painter24

@painter24,

Just to narrow the problem down to the DAC left channel RCA analog out jack did you try another set of Line inputs on the preamp to make sure it's not that left channel input that causing the problem.

Or even try swapping the right and left ICs plugs at the preamp and see if the problem follows the DAC left channel IC to the right channel of the preamp.

@jea48 thanks again; I've tried different inputs on my integrated, no problems there, and also what you described lastly. I'm kind of resigned myself with it as I am getting a replacement, but it's just the wait.

@jea48 you're correct of course re: the ground pin on the AECO plugs, and yes the centre pins are longer than normal, which may account for why the AECO plugs work......would this mean the left RCA out plug onbthe DAC is in someway faulty?

The other cables are not making good connection on one of the 4 connection points or in teh middle.

would this mean the left RCA out plug on the DAC is in someway faulty?

@painter24

Ya, that could be the problem.

Question is was the DAC RCA jack faulty to began with, or did the longer pin on AECO plug damage the center contact in the jack? Did you by chance first use your other RCA ICs on the DAC, and they worked ok then?

What make is the DAC? There is a big quality difference from panel mount RCA jacks and circuit board mounted jacks.

Jim