Do You Play Or Save Your Best Cartridges

I suspect I am like many here, I have a small collection of cartridges. Until recently I would keep a casual playing cartridge set up and I would save my "good" cartridges for evening listening sessions where I am focusing on listening to music at the listening chair. I always had a casual cartridge mounted on an arm, maybe an Audio Technica OC9 III or something along those lines. These days its either an Ortofon MC3000 II or MC5000. 

Earlier this year I finally decided to use the DAC in my Trinov pre amp, and this involved getting a subscription to Roon, and hardwiring the computer and preamp to the router with CAT 6 ethernet cable. The sound is remarkably good, to the point where this can easily be my casual listening format. 

I almost wonder if its necessary to have a casual cartridge. Or should I just play my best ones as often as I want and bite the bullet and know I am getting a new diamond fitted every few years. 

Anyone else go through this kind of decision process?

neonknight

Play the good ones! 

As an aside, since I am in the trade, I only work with cart manufacturers that offer reasonable repair / rebuild services. These things wear out, lets plan for it...

After an extended session of finding out why one speaker wasn't sounding quite right, I listeneed to my vinyl again for the first time in a while. I have my Zu Denon 103R still mounted, and with the new (to me) Herron phono stage in the system, I've been surprised at just how good the Denon sounds.

It does, though, have the ESCCO cantilever mods, but it really sounds good. I listened last night to Chick Corea Plays Wonder, Chopin, Scarlatti, etc. It sounded so good, I just relaxed completely, turned off the lights, and ejoyed music more than I have in some time.

Happy days at Danville!

Regards,

Dan

I have a Cartridge Keeper with a selection of Cart's ranging from Ceramic, MM, HOMC and LOMC.

I have a few LOMC Cart's still remaining on Tonearms>TT's infrequently used.

I have collected Cart's with a shortish user life for R&D Purposes. These are available to be used in conjunction with owned Cart's by others, from the Same Brand and Same Model. This is for the purpose of A/B Comparison of equipment, where a Cart's change over is not desired during the demonstration, this improves the experience when comparing, when two very closely mimicking Cart's are mounted.

I also have a few Cart's that are destined to be Donor Models for a rebuild design,  that I have agreed with Third Party Service Technicians to be undertaken. These are the ones I enjoy the most, there is a lot to be discovered, by bringing a material into use not commonly found in the mainstream today. A skilled Technician also gets fired up and quite creative when the challenge is presented.     

I rather go with the best cartridge i can have, i have only one and keep it till i listen to something better or till it goes to cartridge heaven. Then a new one.

In the past i had about five at a time but still i was listening to the one i thought it sounded best.

I only did it a zillion years ago, when I had a record player that could play 78's.