Dylan's Time Out of Mind remix is Stunning

"Time Out of Mind" was always a powerful record, despite the murky original mix.

Now, with most of the sonic muck that producer Daniel Lanois smeared onto the music scraped off and rinsed away, it's full glory is revealed. Abetted by terrific SQ, its impact is stunning.

The old mantra "original mixes are always better" is blown out of the water by this. 

For my tastes, this is one of the best releases in the Bootleg Series-- a dream come true for Dylan lovers-- and one of the best Dylan releases since "Blood on the the Tracks". 

Lyric fragments keep cycling in my head. . . 

"People on the platforms

waiting for trains

I can hear their hearts a beatin'

like pendulums swingin' on chains"  

stuartk

@stuartk: My Copy arrives later this week! I can't wait to hear "Not Dark Yet", one of my favorite songs. It was Lanois' sound on this album (terrible) that inspired Dylan to start doing his own producing, an excellent decision.

@bdp24

Yeah, that’s one of my favorite tracks, too.

This mix is so much better, it’s hard to imagine why Dylan approved the original.

No doubt, he had his reasons at the time but we can all be thankful he changed his mind somewhere along the way.

I considered picking up the 2 CD version of the previous Bootleg Series release that includes "Infidels" but from what I could discern on Spotify, the heavily effected drum sound that I never cared for has been retained. I may still relent. All the songs from those sessions seem to be included and the combination of Taylor + Knopfler is hard to resist!

I have the original and the new remix.  

I happen to love each of them, I never thought the original sucked.  I thought it was great.  

So is the new version.  

Great music, different presentations, both bring great joy to me.  

@rpeluso 

I'd be very interested to hear what you like about the original mix, if you care to elaborate. How does Daniel Lanois' esthetic contribute to your enjoyment?

With no other alternative, I appreciated what I was able to appreciate in the original mix but I always felt the production limited my enjoyment.  Having heard the remix, I have no interest in the original version but I am curious what you hear in it.