50 years of Hip Hop- How Come?

Having been a music fan for over 50 years, it’s been fun to see all the different musical genres that have come and gone in popular music.

In the the 50s it was Rock n Roll. Then in the 60s we had Psychedelia, in the 70s Punk, in the 80s New Wave, in the 90s Grunge. It was always interesting to see how music changed into the next new thing.

At the latest Grammy awards, which I did not see, there was a segment called 50 years of hip hop.

I’ve personally never been a big fan of the genre, there are some songs I have liked, but that’s ok. Everyone has their tastes. What I am surprised about is Hip Hops longevity. It just seems like for the last 25 years a lot of music hasn’t really changed much. There has been no " next new thing"as far as I can tell.

How Come? Anyone feel the same way or care to comment. Am I just getting old??

128x128alvinnir2

arguably, recognizable rock and roll music was being produced as far back as the 40s, cab calloway even referenced it. in light of this particular longevity, it is well-understandable that hip hop/rap and its variants would survive 50+ years.

Don’t really get it. What was new with Punk, New Wave or Grunge?
To me the new is that billions of artists can reach you through just a push on the button. 

Human beings like to classify stuff. I think the word "genre" is just French for classification. So much modern music is a blend of genres. Modern R&B has many elements of Electronica. I hear Jazz infused Hip Hop. Even some Country has elements of Urban (read Black music) elements. Some Rap has elements of Electronica and even Jazz phrasing. Its a wonderful mish-mosh, which is elemental to "American" music.

I now enjoy listening to World music. I hear a lot of very cool electronica in Middle-Eastern and Indian music. Not to mention the influence of Reggae on African music.

I suggest streaming the "Station" World Revolutions, one of the three streams on World Fusion Radio. Although its only 320 kbps, it's very listenable, even on an elevated sound system. He does request donations.

@shutupuface. Most critics/scholars put August 11, 1973 as the beginning of Hip Hop, when DJ Kool Herc was the DJ at his sister’s back-to-school party. Just like any other genre (punk, rock, country, etc.) there is no definitive start date. Most genres obviously don’t start with the artist calling it that from the beginning, but are usually branded over time by fans, critics and record labels.

As usual with these threads, the original OP’s question (if artfully stated) has devolved into old white guys sounding off on something they don’t know that much about. [to a degree, myself included]

As I read the original question, why has there been no new, popular genre of music that has lasted since Hip Hop?? Yes, as other posters have pointed out, there have been 100’s of genres and subgenres that have bubbled up, but nothing as massive or long-lasting as Hip Hop. I believe that has more to do with the way that popular entertainment and music consumption has become so diffused. There is no definitive source where (general speaking, young people) congregate to get their music entertainment.

MTV and then commercial radio was a key developer for popularizing Hip Hop. Once could also argue that the channel acted as a gatekeeper to hold back the genre from exploding more in the 80’s. There is no such go-to place today. Commercial radio is strong, but doesn’t really set trends anymore for younger listeners, they follow.

Also Hip Hop has lasted (and yes evolved) because it is much more than a music genre. It's an culture, attitude, fashion, political stance...in films/TV, sports, etc..  Like rock n roll, it has evolved and gone mainstream and seeped into every aspect of our society.  And please don't chime in that it's not your style...that's the point.