Preamp for VPI Prime 21 turntable $300-800

Could someone recommend a phono which can match VPI turntable very well? Thank you guys!

classicalguy

A moving coil preamp is asked to greatly and faithfully amplify with little noise. This not only requires a quality set of well designed internal components, but it must also have clean power. A good power cable can be found in your suggested price range, but I can’t imagine that a good used phono stage that will do your cartridge/table justice can be found.

What is the reasonable price range for the phono? I spent 5.5k for TT and cartridge. I need a good power cable for the phono or the amplifier?

Around $1400-$1700. The Sutherland Insight, Parasound JC JR, Eat E-Glo tube phono. Are some phonos to look at. On the used side I saw on Audio Mart a 2K 3 year old LFD phono for $995. The Seller is an LFD dealer. In addition he’ll set it up the phono to your carts specs and give you a free two year warranty. Gene Rubin is the dealer.

@classicalguy

The problem is that everything is dependent upon everything else in your system and your own preference regarding presentation. I had a knowledgeable sales rep from a large internet vendor help me with advice. We decided to start with a $2400 Southerland preamp that was well reviewed, but it just didn’t make me happy in that I’m pretty demanding with regards to the reproduction of the human voice. I was looking for the detail of a good solid state phono preamp with some of the tonality of a good tube pre. Most importantly, I was looking for this in my system and my room. So, a good place to start is with a dealer you trust with a no questions asked return policy and hopefully a dealer that will give you a bit of a discount. I finally got what I wanted after upgrading my power, phono preamplifier, interconnects, turntable and cartridge, My dealer helped me throughout, except for the phono preamp. The one we wanted was on COVID back order. I ended up with exactly what I wanted by buying used via a dealer on this forum… but that’s another story.

VPI Shyla is essentially an Audio Technica ART series OEM cart. That being said, arguably  it's  a "sleeper" that is good as $3K+ models. With a good phonostage will sound like one too.

Your table/cart deserves a proper phonostage starting at $2500+ or so. Don't cheap out-you'll only be disappointed as to why you spent so muich on your setup and wondering what the fuss is about.

Something used originally up to $5K can found for half.

Of course it's all subjective, so you might hear something under $1K that sounds fine to you.