Symptoms of UN-CLEAN power

When talking about CLEAN POWER, what SYMPTOMS or effects are caused by DIRTY or UN-CLEAN power? 

kraftwerkturbo

@audphile1 + 10 my Amps are right into the wall no Furman or conditioning at all. HQ power cords are an absolute and help reduce EMI/RFI and Skinning. 

My components are using LessLoss Fire Wire 640X and AL DC Blocks. 

Power Cable C-MARC Classic. Audiophile power cable by LessLoss

Power is power, as long as your components turn on and once a month you wipe your butt, who needs anything more than that?

@curiousjim I am just curious if I might have 'dirty power' (and assuming there is - as is often the case in the esoteric world of high fidelity - no measureable real evidence of that dirt). Interested to read what you find out (going from dirty (city) to clean (country "fresh air AND clean power") back to dirty, but with 'cleaner. 

@kraftwerkturbo 

So I received the Entech Powerline Noise Analyzer and followed it simple instructions. Plug it into an outlet, set it to where the LCD screen says 100. Then plug it into your Power Conditioner.  Sadly, when I plugged it into my Audience AR6 power conditioner, it went from 100 to 93! ☹️. In a video I saw, it dropped from 100 to .05. 
Not sure about any of this, but I wanted to try the device and see my results.

All the best.

@jerryg123 Are you using a dedicated line? If you are plugging your gear directly into the wall, how are you protecting from outages (no surge protection) that may damage your gear? 

I live in a quasi-urban area and my house is only 11 years old. I have no meter to test how dirty my AC power is..but I do occasionally have outages and so I am assuming if you lose power on your line your gear suffers by shutting off and on in mid-stream. 

My electric line comes in my house underground and I have noticed that in the past few days that the Panamax I use shows 116 Volts and not the typical 120 or 121 Volts - I assume because the ground has been frozen the past couple of days here in the NE. I understand that lower voltage can damage an amplifier as it makes it work harder to maintain the same static power. 

Overall I find this thread confusing. Those that put in dedicated lines swear that it is the best thing one can do to clean up power BEFORE your gear has to deal with it.

Others claim their gear has power supplies that are DESIGNED to clean up dirty AC. Which may be true but finding proof (white paper; article by mfg, etc) of that on a particular amp is not easily accessible. Heck, PS Audio and others  manufacture both Amps and Conditioner's - as well as wall outlets - so it would seem that one scenario is not better than the other in all circumstances.

And then there are the other third of audiophiles who seem to believe that a dedicated line WITH a conditioner is the way to go. So, it would seem I have three (four if I do nothing) options without any one of those choices being the consensus here in this thread. I attribute this to the fact that many audiophiles do not even bother with any of these options and cry audiophile FOUL at wasteful spending on gimmickry; which I find ignorant.

Fairly new territory I suppose, but after upgrading my power cables I was aware that the delivery of electricity is a real driving factor in better sound, which makes sense to a technical geek like myself. But the path forward is murky at best.

@curiousjim 

I just ordered an Entech noise analyzer and will provide my results when I get it. Will test the wall outlet and then an outlet on the Panamax I utilize. Have you tried other outlets in your house to see if they all test the same? 

For those that have these used these analyzers, would you please provide helpful input or experiences from your own outlets/gear?