Small form factor, SS phono preamp recommendation.

Hello all.... I've been using the very capable iFi Zen Phono as a place-holder for quite some time now. Using it's balanced output and upgraded power-supply I think it's a fantastic little unit. My 'table is a Luxman PD171A with a Jelco 850 10" arm and right now it's mounted with my Hana Umami Red. I also have an Accuphase E-5000 and will soon be taking delivery of a pair of Borresen Z5 Cryos. With my cabinet (which my wife calls "the Ark of the Covenant"), and the overall aesthetics of the room, I'm looking for a small, solid state, very high performing phono preamp. Since I just spent crazy money on the Accuphase and Borresens my budget is limited to $3,000 or so. I've been considering a Nova III with the upgraded power supply, a graham Slee Accession with upgraded power supply, an Accuphase AD-40 phono card, or a Whest. What am I missing? I'm to the point that I want to settle into years of stability with my stereo, and just enjoy mining my record collection and the many great record stores in Chicagoland. Thank you for reading,

~Oran

128x128oranfoster

Even though I have no personal experience with the product, I would recommend the Accuphase analog option board. A couple to choose from. They make one that is two slots wide, which could be cool if you have 2 arms or TTs...assuming you would not want the other slot for an Accuphase DAC card.  @boothroyd , above, makes solid points.

Either the very best available phono card for your Accuphase, or the iFi iPhono 3 black label, like Dover says.

Another vote for the AD-50 card from Accuphase. Have one in my E-470 integrated.

Prefer the AD-50 over some standalone units I’ve auditioned: Gold note PH-10, PS Audio Stellar Phono, Wyred4Sound PH-1, and Parasound JC3+

Accuphase + Accuphase synergy is hard to beat.

@robelvick @lewm @gemoody and others.... Thanks for the insights. It probably does make the most sense to stick with the Accuphase phono card. It would be easy to spend a lot more and end up with more cords, more complexity, more chance for extraneous noise to get picked up, and with my cost restraints, no guarantee of better sound.

~Oran

I am also user of Luxman PD171A and Jelco 850s. My Phono Preamp is Whest PS.30RDTSE (Pro). As a second Phono Preamp I use Octave EQ.2. A very small unit. Highly recommended.