Why Do Some Recordings Sound Great and Others Dead?

I listen to Radio Paradise MQA on my NODE 3, SMSL M400, B and O Beolab 8000’s and Hsu 15in sealed sub.  The acoustics in my room are poor.  I’ve noticed that some recordings sound very realistic. For instance the vocals on a Stabat Mater dolorosa hymn sounded great.  But a Nora Jones recording was terrible.  Her voice was lost in back of some murky instruments.  I’m familiar with this recording listening to it on my iPod, where her voice shines out and the music is good.  I’m wondering why the big differences?

128x128tcotruvo

@ghdprentice Thx for your comments, as it’s good to know that you have consistent excellent sound quality. My system is basic, but I’m tinkering to see if I can fix a week spot. I just ordered parts to create a fiber optic link to my NODE.

@tomcy6 I noticed that older recordings from around the 60’s often don’t sound that well. I’m surprised at the Norah Jones recording, as it’s more recent and I am familiar with it. I don’t think that it’s the recording - it’s just not coming to me well from Radio Paradise. I just added a thick rug to my room, but it’s mostly glass, so it’s never going to have good acoustics.

@zlone Yes, I’m on ‘Audio Level Fixed.’ I tried the SMSL filters and really don’t hear any difference. I’ll try the FLAC stream.

@mastering92 Thx for singing! Norah sounds good on the iPod. But why would one vocal recording sound good on my system, but not another that I know is a good recording from another source?

I will probably leave out from my Favorites list any recordings that don’t sound good, like Nora’s. I have found many others that sound excellent, so I’ll still have plenty to enjoy.

@tcotruvo

Which Nora Jones song was it? I could check my redbook audio collection...cd rips.

Now I want to listen...and maybe I’ll have an answer to your question.

@mastering92  ‘Light As a Feather’.  I have it on CD and my iPod, where I’ve listened to it every other day or so for the last 10? years.  On Radio Paradise her voice does not sound very ‘present’, but is lost and muffled, as are the instruments.  On this one, I’m not getting what I expect from past listening.

In ’I Put a Spell On You’ Samantha Fish’s voice shines for the most part, but there are a few portions of the song where the volume recedes so much it sounds like the system is going out.

On the other hand ‘Lullaby’ by Pieta Brown sounds like a very good overall recording, her voice stands out from the instruments, and both her voice and the instruments sound great.

I tend to listen to music as lower levels.

Recordings are mixed per the studio's speakers. They might agree with yours, they might not.

what @fuzztone said

I don’t know about the other 2, but "light as a feather" is a great song and I’ve heard it many times before.

Her vocals are clear and forward. Her voice peaks quite a bit, but her voice is balanced. Instrumentals take a backseat The track moves at a slow pace, like a light feather falling! Sound character overall is slightly warm. Not too bright.