Considering A New Streaming DAC (Pick 1 of 4)

Hi Folks, The four under consideration are Weiss 501/502, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Aurender A20, and Bricasti M1. Anyone of these will feed a signal into a Backert Labs Rhumba Extreme preamp before going to a Pass XA 30.8 and out to a pair of Audio Note AN/K's ("mildly effecient" at 90 db). The K's are in a fairly large room (26x12). I currently have a Lampizator Amber 4 (bal w/vc) and do like how it sounds in this system, but wish to at least explore a one box option. Although I do stream (N100H) most of my "front end" time is spent either with a Macinstosh MR88 digital tuner or an Audio Note level 2 CD transport. I'm interested about folks preferences or experiences with any of these four DAC's taking into account my front end usage and existing system. I've also looked at the possibility of keeping my streamer and upgrading the tube DAC in the form of Totaldac or BAT Rex. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

scottya118

Agree with @audphile1 love my Bricasti M3 but if I could have afforded it I would have bought the Bricasti M21. Beautifully made in the USA and not solid state sounding nor tube sounding just musical sounding.

I was considering the Bricasti M12 but the lack of fibre input and the desire for less streamer boxes made me go with the Lumin instead. It has to be fibre for me. I was going to use the X1 direct-to-amp (CODA #16), but I found out I liked my Benchmark LA4 preamp in the chain. So, the X1 stays in the office, and I am now looking at the Lumin P1 for my Livingroom (it also has fibre).

Selling my DACs and streamers to go Lumin.

I went from a LUMIN T2 a Weiss 501. Granted, the Weiss cost twice as much as the LUMIN  but the Weiss portrayed natural tone, space and dynamics more realistically. I am a Roon user and that was a must-have feature. I am very satisfied with the Weiss.

Thanks for all your responses. Most helpful. Question to all: Keeping in mind my front end usage with streaming as a secondary pursuit and no Roon (nor do I plan to employ it) does that change anyone's responses? Thanks again for your input.

If you are not considering Roon, then the internal streaming capability of the Tambaqui is not available. The Tambaqui needs either an external streamer, or at least an external Roon core. Either way it is not really a one box solution for streaming. 

I have not heard the Weiss nor the Bricasti. But I do have both Tambaqui and Aurender A20 in the house. 

Another true one box solution you might add to your list is the dCS Lina. I recently picked one up and it is very impressive. For streaming it can be controlled via Mosaic with Ethernet input. But it can also act as DAC for other sources. 

All three sound great in their own ways. I’m still optimizing Ethernet, power, etc. so not ready to depart with any of them yet.

Good luck in your journey!