The Forgotten

Every time I come across a gem in this hobby I inevitably come to the conclusion that there must be a ton of wonderful gear out there that has either slipped through the cracks or been forgotten. I decided to start a thread hoping some of you would spill the beans.  

I’ll start, but I don’t have a tone of experience. Totem, I believe to be very underrated.  I find they truly have a magic to them.  I’d throw out Harbeth but they surely aren’t forgotten.  Audio Mirror is one I’m pretty fascinated with based on my Tubadour  I recently acquired a Lab12 Integre4 that I think is better than anything I’ve had.  For example McIntosh, Bryston, Audio Research, Primaluna and a bunch of mid-fi.  Anyways, I think my experience is lacking but that’s what I’ve got.  

brylandgoodman

A lot of the smaller companies end up going out of business as owners age or pass.  Other stuff just falls out of favor due to lack of publicity.  A random list of largely forgotten gems once upon a time that we don't hear much about anymore:

B&K Electronics

Avalon Acoustics

Merlin speakers

Discrete Technology

Grant Fidelity

Melos

Audible Illusions

Lazarus

Well Temperered

I'm always surprised that Janszen speakers don't get more attention, given the compact size, ease of placement, reasonable prices, and great sound (low distortion, even FR, great transparency, superb imaging). Perhaps the issue is that Janszen doesn't release new models every year or two.

Totem, Avalon, Audible Illusions,  and Well Tempered all still have major consumer profiles. In fact, totem is the highest volume Canadian speaker manufacturer. 

Many audio companies come and go based on consumer tastes and finances. Others, like @knotscott pointed out, dissipate once their owners/designers leave. Blue Circle comes to mind, as does Clear Day and, more recently, Herron now that Keith is retired. Or Merlin speakers once their owner died in 2015. 

Others, like Halcro or Cairn, were badly conceived and faded after the initial advertising blitz. 

And I think many audio companies are similar to music artists like Mindy Smith, Cassandra Wilson, or Pet Shop Boys: After an initial splash, they build a steady career with a steady audience. Think Acoustic Zen, Decware, PSB, Canary, and Channel Island. 

I remember when Perpetual Technologies emerged, very early implementation of up and over sampling, DSP. Some real shenanigans going on with that company! I did have a totally Frankenstein Perp Tech setup at one time, everything completely  modded out with help from Dan Wright of Modwright. That was great digital setup, problem was I wanted to stream, no way with that setup.

Merlin, I had totally modded out VSM-MM, wonderful years with those, still have. Bobby commits suicide.

Joule Electra, had totally  modded out LA100MK III, wonderful preamp. Judd passed away.

BPT power conditioners, still have BPT 3.5 Sig, very high quality transformers used here. Don't know why they went away.

Audio Logic. I had Audio Logic 24mxl, tubed dac. Jerry Ozment passed away.

Nirvana Electronic Works,  N.E.W. I had DCA66, battery powered class A amp. Some people thought this Nelson Pass design, wasn't. Sold in past year to individual who was in group dedicated to restoring these pre's and amps.

Dahlquist. Do they still exist? Still have my DQ10's from 1980's, first nice speaker owned, heard great setups using these at audio shows back in the day.

EPI Epicure. Owned some 100's way back in the day.

Acoustic Research, AR3A's owned way back in day.

Lafayette Radio Electronics. We had local store in neighborhood, way before I was old enough to understand any of it.