Testing for Dirty Electrical Power

Hi,

Is there any suggestion on a device that can test for Dirty Electrical Power?

One that I have come across is the, "Greenwave Broadband EMI Dirty Electricity Meter" on amazon.

I wanted to see (if it's really even possible) how my electricity is doing and then using the same device on my power strip (Isotek Evo 3 Sirius) to see if there is any change or if I end up getting any other type power filtration in the future, I would want to see how much better or worse that is making everything, besides just audible differences.

If my thinking is incorrect, please let me know.

I'm just curious to see if a device could tell me.

Thanks

128x128jay73

Very interesting vid from Denali. Perhaps the location of the test was on a business park where there may be more noise on the line.

Cut to the chase....What we all really want to know is in our home installation what is the volume level of the noise relative to the music signal we have?  -50dB?    -70dB?  -100dB?  Or what?  i.e is it more than the  noise generated by our amps and other equipment?  If it is, how much more?

It would be the rare exception to find power that isn't "dirty" in your outlet.  I live in a well developed area with supposedly robust power supply.  My power runs 4-5% THD.

And don't try to "filter" it. that does more harm than good.  The only fix is to rectify and invert.

Jerry

Did some research and people use these devices for the detection of ghosts too..could kill two birds with one stone. 

Hi all. I tried this just after Christmas. I purchased a EMI line tester. It turns out I have very clean power, on average 16 mVpp. After doing some research I purchased a AudioQuest Niagara 1200 Power Conditioner hoping I could get any noise to zero. My experience with the Niagara was that it made no EMI difference on the high power outlets and actually created EMI noise on the source component outlets. It seems like with power conditioners there’s a lot of claims made about their performance and not a lot of data to support the claims. 

@rlj i have 5 noise harvesters. Some bling rapidly others do not. It’s probably because whatever’s on the same circuit is making the noise. Fridges, dimmer lights, etc. I’m not sure if they actually work that well but I also have shunyata power conditioners. I guess I my have to invest in one of these detectors to see.