Testing for Dirty Electrical Power

Hi,

Is there any suggestion on a device that can test for Dirty Electrical Power?

One that I have come across is the, "Greenwave Broadband EMI Dirty Electricity Meter" on amazon.

I wanted to see (if it's really even possible) how my electricity is doing and then using the same device on my power strip (Isotek Evo 3 Sirius) to see if there is any change or if I end up getting any other type power filtration in the future, I would want to see how much better or worse that is making everything, besides just audible differences.

If my thinking is incorrect, please let me know.

I'm just curious to see if a device could tell me.

Thanks

128x128jay73

Wish it was so simple. I have several of these types of "testers".

The hidden enemy rides along with the AC or DC current delivery in so many forms that these items cannot detect.

ozzy

Audiophiles start nit picking before the foundations are right. EMI/RFI testing is fine, but we don't hear up there, and bigger AC issues may be lurking.

Start with a simple meter like this one on the output of your conditioner.  Make sure the LED lights on top light up correctly, and if so then watch the voltage over time, including neutral voltage. 

How much does it drop when your stereo is on or plays?  Morning much better than evening?

This will help you gauge whether you need a dedicated line or voltage regulator as a front end.  Also make sure you don't have other issues!

Jay73, the Shunyata site has a YouTube video where they use an Entech Powerline Noise Analyzer to sonically and numerically demonstrate what you are asking about. Watch the video. It explains itself. In part I purchased a Shunyata Hydra Denali unit, like the one they were testing with the Entech after watching this video, which seemingly demonstrably measured it’s effectiveness in reducing line noise. The Entach unit is found both used and new on Ebay and Amazon in the $25 to $79 range,

Mike

I have a. PS Audio Noise Harvester.   In my townhouse it blinks at a very fast frequency.  In my significant others home which is just around the block it would hardly ever blink.      I know I have dirt power and her power is relatively clean.    My PS Audio power strip does shut down if the voltage drops.

Ask someone who would actually know. Maybe an electrician or someone who works at your local power generating plant.