Streaming – Discovering Similar or New Music

There are multiple ways to search for similar or new music when streaming.  The most common way is to manually scroll down the page to find ‘Similar Artists’ – when currently listening to a particular artist.  Different streamer apps have different approaches.   Some offer a manual search only.  Others offer both manual and automatic.   

Which streamer apps do a great job?  Which do not?  EG: Innous Sense, Aurender Conductor, Auralic Lightning DS, Lumin, etc.  

Please share your tips & experiences.   With & without Roon.

_ _ _ _ _

This thread is not about comparing sound quality.  Just the ease of discovering similar or new music.

steakster

@pokey77 

Glad to turn a few folks on to Music-map. I understand wanting to find new music vs. music that's the same. I listen to new stuff for three reasons, 1) Keep current and show my 12 Year old Niece I'm not some old guy listening to a lot of old/dead musicians. I really like Taylor Swift, sue me. 2) Find new bands/singers that fit my typical tastes. 3) Find new music that is totally unlike my typical tastes. I have heard some really good Hip Hop. It took me a while to understand that Hip Hop is not the same as Rap. 

@elliottbnewcombjr  - Mandolin Orange! Great stuff. That's one I found last year.

I am an Aurender user and Tidal is what I use as a streaming service. I discover new music clicking on "Album" categories in the Conductor app like New, Masters, Discovery, Rising, Staff Picks. The same can be done for "Songs" as well. I've found so much new music that way and made many great playlists. Because of streaming, I've ventured into so many genre's that I'd never have explored in the days of buying CDs. It has given me a new lease on life and I'm loving it!

That being said, I really do like Music-map. It will be nice to use it to remind me of other bands in a particular genre that I also like and maybe discover more new bands too.

This is a great thread. Thanks OP.

tidal’s own app is fairly good at this

qobuz less so

blu os not bad, kinda so so

roon and its various features do this just wonderfully, make it so easy and so enjoyable, in a number of ways... for me a big part of its value added