I feel bad for Generation X and The Millennial's

Us Baby boomers were grateful to have experienced the best era for rock/soul/pop/jazz/funk from 1964 thru 1974. We were there at the right age. Motown, Stax, Atlantic, Hi Records and then look at the talent we had. The Beatles, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, James Brown, Rolling Stones, The Doors, Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery,  T Rex etc. Such an amazing creative explosion in music, nothing can beat that era.

I feel bad for the younger crowd Generation X and Millennials who missed it and parents playing their records for you it isn't the same experience, seeing these artists live years after their prime also isn't the same.

128x128probocop
Post removed 

"Boy the way Glen Miller played.....Songs that made the hit parade.... Guys like us we had it made...those were the days!"

Love those jazz giants and classic rock.  Some good recording and a lot of bad ones.  I like Led Zeplin, but their recording is really not very good.  I think today's music generally is much better recorded.

The reason young people, my kids included, still listen to the great music of the 60s and 70s ("classic rock", singer songwriters, Motown/soul, blues, folk rock, etc., is that nothing has come along to replace it.  Look what's most popular- disposable pop music and rap.  There was a golden age of broadway musicals, and a golden age of jazz, and those are now past- why couldn't this happen to rock?  After the Beatles, everyone wanted to play guitar and start a band; there are not a lot of young Tom Pettys, and Gibson and Fender struggle financially.  Most often if you want to play music now, you do it like Billie Eilish- in your bedroom by yourself with a computer (OK, I know she plays with her brother).  Yes, there are young artists scattered far and wide, (like young Americana artists), but not a mainstream of music in the style we are used to.

My teenage kid watched Squid Game on Netflix and heard "Fly Me to the Moon" and liked it. I played him the original by Frank and now he is a huge Sinatra fan. We watch the Sinatra concerts on blueray and now he is branching out in the genre to other singers and even movies from that era (The Music Man, Guys and Dolls, On the Town, etc). All started because some insane show put a cover version in the soundtrack.