Streaming – Discovering Similar or New Music

There are multiple ways to search for similar or new music when streaming.  The most common way is to manually scroll down the page to find ‘Similar Artists’ – when currently listening to a particular artist.  Different streamer apps have different approaches.   Some offer a manual search only.  Others offer both manual and automatic.   

Which streamer apps do a great job?  Which do not?  EG: Innous Sense, Aurender Conductor, Auralic Lightning DS, Lumin, etc.  

Please share your tips & experiences.   With & without Roon.

_ _ _ _ _

This thread is not about comparing sound quality.  Just the ease of discovering similar or new music.

steakster

My experience with Tidal - w/o Roon.

When using Tidal’s app on a laptop, I loved its automated functionality for discovering similar/new music.  The automated functionality displayed artists and songs without the need for a manual search.  Tidal automatically did it for me.  I found an enormous amount of new-to-me music this way. It was very simple & very easy.  (Described below.) 

These benefits changed when I switched from a laptop to a streamer.  I went from the Tidal app to the streamer’s app.   I immediately appreciated the superior SQ of the streamer.  But, the streamer’s app didn’t offer the same automated functionality.  I was limited to a manual search.  I realized that I wasn’t saving as much similar/new music as I did before.  This is with the Lightning DS app on a Auralic Aries.     

_ _ _ _ _ _

Tips for discovering similar/new music using the Tidal app.

- With the Tidal app on a laptop, Tidal’s automated recommendations really shine when you create your own playlists.  After you manually populate your own playlists (such as: ‘Electric Blues’ – ‘Big Band’ – ‘Show Tunes’), Tidal automatically populates and displays similar music after your list ends. No need for a manual search.  These automated additions will refresh and change every week or so.  If you like a cut from their list, you need to manually save it to your own playlist.  This automated programming also tosses in a few cuts of very different music just to mix it up.

- After you create your own playlists, this allows the Tidal automated algorithm to create more relevant ‘Mixes and Radio’.    This is really nice!

- Tidal’s ‘Artist Radio’ is also excellent for finding similar/new music.   IME, it’s better than Tidal’s pre-built playlists.  If you click on the ‘Radio’ button for a particular artist, Tidal automatically generates a new playlist of many different musicians for that genre of music.   It’s not just music by the same artist.

- Tidal’s home page with new releases is targeted toward the younger generation.   Just skip it if it doesn’t appeal to you.  Tidal is pretty good once you figure it out.

Some streamer apps, don’t off as much feature-rich functionality as Tidal’s own.   It would be so much better if they did since a streamer’s SQ is far superior than a noisy computer.

I'm not quite sure of the details here, but when I cue up a particular song on Qobuz, Qobuz automatically cues up a number it deems to be similar. I actually find it to be a bit annoying, as the song it chooses is, more often than not, superficially similar but generally inferior in quality.

Maybe off topic but I've always looked at who is playing on a disk I like and go in search of their recordings.  Looking to expand as opposed to similar?  It's worked well for me over the years.