New to vinyl question

I recently added a turntable to my system, mostly so I could play old records of my father's that formed my early introduction to music. I got what I think is a pretty good turntable, a Music Hall Stealth with an Ortofun Blue cartridge. I'm playing it through my Rogue Sphinx 2, hooked up to a Mytek Brooklyn Amp through Focal Aria 926 speakers. None of this equipment is the highest end available, but it's always sounded great when streaming from my BlueSound Node 2. When i first played some records, particularly jazz and classical, I really enjoyed the sound, though in not sure I prefer it to streaming digital in all contexts. I definitely think the vinyl sounds great for acoustic instruments and vocals, particularly female vocals. But after a little time playing some old Cream and Hendrix records (in new or like-new condition), I noticed pretty significant distortion particularly in the bass. I'm wondering if this is some issue of improper setup or just an artifact of analog reproduction. The sound I'm hearing on the bass lines in particular sounds like clipping i think. But I'm not playing at high volume and it doesn’t happen when I play the same track from a streamed source at the same volume. Any ideas for what I'm heading? I'm hesitant to expand my record collection until I get the issue figured out. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. 

128x128grateful_dad

@pindac , The problem with Amazon is that they have no idea how to package records for transport and I get them with bent covers, warped. They are great on returns but it gets tiring running back and forth. Elusive disc, Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct do a much better job.

The other problem with Amazon is they kill local small businesses, like record stores.

Grateful_dad,

Funny I just got back into vinyl after about 35 years and purchased the same exact turntable based on reviews and my price point.  It was between this and a Rega Planar 3 but the Rega just seemed a bit flimsy compared to this so my gut was to get the Stealth.  Plus it would be much easier to return the Stealth than the Rega.  The Rega may sound great but I didn't have the opportunity to listen to both side by side so made a decision.

My digital and other equipment is much more expensive but i wanted to try something not too expensive to get a feel for vinyl.

I'm pairing my Stealth with an IFI phono 3 black at 48 db with no issues.  I checked the VTA and it was spot on based on the factory alignment which was 7.5 on the VTA tower gauge on the Stealth.  I had the blue at 1.8 grams and my turntable came with a digital stylus gauge as well.

I hear no bass distortions and some albums are better in the bass than others that I have but no bass distortion or bass anomalies.   I'm really enjoying the sound of this turntable and it's a nice change from my digital.  The only nitpicky thing I've noticed is the bass doesn't seem as powerful and extended as my digital recordings for the same recordings.  But from what I understand vinyl will not match digital in the bass department since the bass grooves take up the most real estate on an lp and therefore the engineer has to make some choices when cutting the bass lines and some bass may be lost or diminished.  Digital doesn't have that problem.  That may not be obvious to people who've listened to vinyl primarily for the past 30 or so years but from someone that has only listened to digital I notice the bass is a bit better digitally.  I'm sure a better turntable, cartridge and phono stage may improve the bass a little but I believe it is the nature of the lp medium.

I've also since purchased a Nagaoka MP 200 cartridge and I have to say it is a definite improvement over the 2 m blue.  The Blue is good but the MP200 is a clear step up and for the reasonable cost exceptional.  I'll keep this cartridge for some time now as it seems to really synergize well with this turntable.

The turntable does have adjustable feet that you screw to adjust each height to level the turntable.

I supported a Local Record Store, and for a Period of Time Record Store Day.

In the local Store, I have bought their Good Quality Coffee and occasionally the Cake on offer during a visit. There is a little more sophistication at the Stores today, a little bit of a Internet Cafe Influence has been adopted by quite a few.

There is a need to fit further into the community and supply a social side to others around music and activities of interest.

Wine and Cheese with Vinyl Music, would be a great evening, I bet the places would be filled on a monthly basis.

A Photography Exhibition with 60's Vinyl Recordings as the Back Drop Music.

Buying a LP today is mundane for a certain age group, my stimulus is to assist with a improved remuneration for the Artist, a type of Altruistic Approach.

There is Plenty of Scope to increase the Stimulus to the not so young, not all are trying to catch a eye of a another, that is the preserve for the youth of the day.   , x

In relation to a HiFi Store, I have discovered all is not so well and good, when the subject of returns are on the menu, not so enthusiastic is the underlying tone.

I have a LP at home bought quite recently supplied with a Scratch on the B Side and it was not supported as a exchange. 

Amazon is easier, the Artist receiving a support through a Hard Media Purchase of their recordings will still benefit the same.

Most High Streets are Homogenised today by a Retail Brand Facade, the Boutique in nearly all areas of Trade are up against it, and are increasingly not able to survive the long haul, the Margins or Escalation in Pricing is a deterrent.

Record Shops unfortunately are on such a Knife Edge, and After Sales Service is a cost not really wanted to be met.