But is it HiFi? (Crown)

Possible amplifier for my Magnepan LRS?

Today's Score! I've been intrigued by the Crown professional Class D amplifiers. I kept waiting for the XLS1502 to go on sale or maybe I could find a used one reasonably priced. New they are currently $535. Which still seems like a value. Scanning Facebook Marketplace for "Crown Amplifier" I see a photo of what looks like a Crown XLS....But it is listed as a Crown "SLC" 1502.....Fortunately there was a picture of the rear and it clearly stated on the ID tag, XLS1502.........Buyer wasn't getting much action and had it down to $200!  And only a 15 minute drive away! Interesting amplifier with huge power and built in crossover and a few other features. Although not a true HIFI product, it is getting good reviews by the YouTube review crowd. Something to play with when I get back from an extended trip I leave on this Friday.

Features

Power: 775W at 2ω, 525W at 4Ω, 300W at 8Ω

• Class D amp with Crown's ultra-efficient DriveCore technology weighs less than 11 lb

• Higher DSP capabilities: More control; has band pass filter per channel

• Increased lighting functionality; turn off all LED indicators except clip and thermal to reduce distraction in dark venues

• Selectable input sensitivity; 1.4Vrms and .775Vrms options so that amp can be driven at full power

• Set sleep mode after specified time without having to press a button

• Security setting disables menu buttons; menu locked/unlocked by entering combination

• System reset allows factory settings to be restored

• Remote power trigger

• Peakx™ Limiters provide maximum output while protecting your speakers

• XLR, 1/4", RCA inputs provide flexibility

• Integrated PureBand™ Crossover System for better performance and control

• Efficient forced-air fans prevent excessive thermal buildup

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xls-1502

rbertalotto

I once had a Crown CE4000 powering small ProAc speakers and the sound had all the attributes of a very good hifi amplifier. The fan was annoying at low volume so I replaced it with a K2 but the latter didn't sound as good. I guess you have to try the amplifier within your system if you want to know.

What’s the preamp? I’ve found they are kinda sterile but with a tube preamp or something with meat on the bones they sound pretty good. 

Crown makes terrific amplifiers. They have the advantage of being bulletproof, like QSC, but they sound better. I'd jump on this were I not a tube addict.

Preamp is one of three....Buchardt i150, Schiit Freya or Zero Zone Conrad Johnson clone........

No need to apolgize for resorting to pro gear....If it's made with it, mastered with it, what the diff?

I've played about with them for quite awhile, as long as they do what they're supposed to without being annoying about it....wtf.... ;)

Have considered Crowns', but I'd have to start a whole new topology so later for that.  I keep options open, tho'... ;)