VPI upgrade?

I'd like to upgrade my turntable, a VPI Scout 1.1. w/ Ortofon 2M Black cart....

Question, staying with VPI, is  Prime a significant upgrade? Also, using a Channel Island phono pre...I'll be buying used, budget $3500.

I might regret this, any other sugestions?

larseand

@larseand , I mentioned the VPI gimbal arm because it is a direct swap but you can, with a little creativity, mount just about any arm you can think of on that turntable. The Audiomods arm or a lesser Origin Live arm would do fine.  The Audiomods arm is $1000 and the Lyra Delos is $2000. There's your budget. 

I’m a VPI lover, VPIs love upgrades. I own a scout II, upgraded the feet, motor, and added a walker speed controller. Also put a Koetsu rosewood signature on it. It will take anything you throw at it and return the favor. In my opinion you can’t go wrong with this table. As for your question, the Prime would definitely be an upgrade, but be sure you’re doing all you can do as far as upgrades on your current scout….you might get away a lot cheaper and get the same benefits. Good luck!

VPI makes nice turntables. Always have.  I presently have an HW40 that is quite the berries and am resurrecting my old HW19MkIII bought new in 198?.  I have also owned but traded a fully pimped out Prime.  No regrets, they all work just fine.  My present decision is which arm to settle on for the old MkIII.  I have an SME Series III and an SME Series II Improved.  Both have been rebuilt by SME Canada. Anyway, to your question, if I were you I would go for an arm upgrade.  The VPI Unipivot works very nicely with Harry's stabilizer mod and that is the way to go for your turntable in my opinion.  When I was messing with my Prime, it came with a 3D arm or course, and Harry suggested that I try a metal arm, which I found used here at Audiogon for a very reasonable price.  After a lot of ABing, I grew to prefer the metal arm.  Go figure.  Try it, you can't go wrong and you can always resell it if you find something later that suits you better.  The thing is that new stuff is not necessarily better, just different.  And with VPI, well we are a bit of a cult it seems.  Have fun.