The problem with absorption panels- it kills the fine details

If you’ve ever removed your absorption panels, you’ll find that you’ll hear a lot more detail and there is more openness. Truth is all those fine pressure amplitudes that add so much to enjoyable listening are considerably extinguished with absorption panels. The room seems quieter with absorption panels because all the fine detail is diminished.

It sounds different, so people think it sounds better. Absorption panels can kill good sounding music. I removed most of the absorption panels, and things actually sounded better. All the furniture in the room and the bookshelves were doing their thing in a great way. So I’ve concluded I really don’t need all that crap on the walls.

emergingsoul

Interesting, I noticed when I had absorption on the front wall it sucked out the highs, on the back wall behind the MLP is totally different. I started with the side walls and after the third panel it sounded dead. That is when I found a good resource and changed it up, interleafing absorption with diffusion, Now it is the way I like. Totally get it though, dead rooms are painful to listen in.

As many responders to your previous thread mentioned, you need a combination of diffusion and absorption to achieve optimal results. Absorption panels can be very helpful if used judiciously and appropriately. 

Absorption panels can be very helpful if used judiciously and appropriately. 

Many listeners overdamped their rooms. The entire room doesn't need to be treated, areas of reflections can help to keep music lively and realistic.

@emergingsoul 

That's why after you take care of the resonance in your room with the absorbing panels, you need to install diffuser panels to regain the clarity you just lost, but you are now achieving that without any resonance! I know, it's a difficult process that many audiophiles rather do without. However not my case, check out my house of stereo system, it was not easy but ultra rewarding in the end.