Minusk platform

The topic concerns mostly those who use a minusk turntable platform.

I am using a minusk under my turntable. The only issue i have is when i give an impact directly on the minusk (using my finger for example) OR on the platform on which the minusk stands, there is a metallic sound - ringing heard. This sound is also heard from the speakers (i use mc cartridge). Obviously the minusk being metal it will cause higher frequency ringing. This will be over 100 Hz where minusk runs out of isolation.

what way have you solved this issue or did not have to?

thanks

apostolos

My turntable comes / came with a minus K platform from the manufacturer. I’ve never heard what you are describing. Perhaps you need to turn up the strength of the minus K force so that the turntable is not resting on the platform, but floating above it.

I have a Kuzma XL, all machined brass on the big Minus K bench top and use the stand supplied by Minus K. But I use an HRS isolation platform on top of the Minus K, beneath the turntable.  I've never heard any ringing and believe me, my 104 db sensitive speakers would pick it up. 

You might check in with Minus K as well. There are sorbothane squares (or a square) between the inner mechanism and the underside of the top plate. Depending on how old your unit is, I think those age out after 10 years, but I'm operating from memory. 

The MinusK should isolate you from everything over 2 hz. You are shorting somewhere. What turntable are you using? Check to make sure the platform is floating correctly. You should be able to tap all around the MinusK and not hear anything through the system. If you tap the top of the MinusK, the surface your turntable sits on you will hear it to one degree or another depending on the construction of your turntable. This is normal.