Is there anything better than live recordings?

Other than attending the concerts themselves?

I say NO.

👍

128x128jjbeason14

Friday Night in San Francisco is among the greatest live recordings ever, and in frequent rotation here. The SQ is excellent but the crowd interaction with 3 of the greatest guitarists on the planet make it even more impactful.

And closely behind is Saturday Night in SF on Impex records as I recall.

@drmuso Live at Leeds is an excellent sounding live recording, with great dynamics and can be played at very high levels.

Live at Hull may be preferred.

Thanks to others for some great tips.

@bipod72 - I don't think they were talking about bootleg recordings. There are hundreds of legitimate Grateful Dead live releases that are among the best sounding live recordings you'll hear. I have every one of the box sets. The Dead made sound quality a priority ever since the days when Owsley Stanley designed their sound systems. 

I think U2 is great example of a band that's better live than in the studio.

One of my fav bands for sure!

@larsman Oh I realize the OP wasn't talking about bootleg recordings BUT for a period of time in the 70s through the 80s there were vinyl bootleg pressings of live shows that, for all appearances, looked like legitimate label pressings. I had several that I acquired at record swap meets I used to go to with my dad in the 80s.  I do think live recordings can be very good and as I said, it's very dependent upon the band, their sound engineer, and the venue. But if someone makes the claim that live recordings are the best...it comes with several qualifications. As we all know, even studio recordings can be crappy sometimes!