VPI upgrade?

I'd like to upgrade my turntable, a VPI Scout 1.1. w/ Ortofon 2M Black cart....

Question, staying with VPI, is  Prime a significant upgrade? Also, using a Channel Island phono pre...I'll be buying used, budget $3500.

I might regret this, any other sugestions?

larseand

Assuming your rig is optimized, a LOMC alone can be a welcome upgrade.

The Prime will have the 3D arm, so depending on who you you ask, it is an upgrade.

Your budget with patience, could find something quite good. VPI or another brand.

I'd look for a  Classic 3 or late model Aries if staying VPI.

I will add to what @russ69 ​​​​@tablejockey said. Once I went to my Hagerman trumpet and then added the Hana everything changed with regard to the music sounding like music. No longer did I mess around with the Ortofons (always seemed to be listening to the gear and not the music) I would monkey with the Ortofon black (and bronze) too much to try and get it to sound decent on the vpi. I know there are a lot of people using them with great results but with my equipment they never did jive with the sound I wanted to hear.

I have never heard your pre and I certainly would never be able to tell you if changing your pre would help, but perhaps the table (unless you are ready to move on) could stay and different gear might help?

just my thought after going through my latest gear upgrades.

db

@larseand , No, it is not a significant up grade. Your best move is to replace that tonearm. I believe the VPI gimbal arm is a direct swap. Once you have swapped arms you can move up to less compliant cartridges if you like. I suggest an Ortofon Windfeld Ti or a Lyra Delos. If you do not want to go low output then a Soundsmith Voice would be perfect.