DIY Steampunk Tube Amplifier, feedback please :)

Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum for a while and finally decided to register and create my first topic. I would love to get some feedback from you, please be honest I can take the hit.:)

I finished my DIY amplifier project a while ago but wanted to get some feedback from people who know their stuff. I always wanted to design a tube amplifier but didn't have much time for it. This project took me about 6 months to finish. It has two power amplifiers inside: a solid state one based on STA540 and a class-A single-ended 6SN7+6V6 tube stereo amplifier. You can switch between 2 amplifiers using a knob on the front panel.

The reason of having 2 amplifiers is simple: the device is used as a computer audio amplifier. Most of the time I use it to watch videos or playing games. STA540 is a high-quality power amplifier and it will be more than enough for these purposes. But when you want to enjoy some music (e.g jazz) you can simply turn on the tube amp. Such system can significantly extend tube life.

I wanted to use a modern circuitry in the tube amp design. The operating point (cathode currents etc) is precisely controlled by the integrated circuits, while the audio signal only goes through the tubes and high-quality capacitors and resistors. I also used a switch mode power supply which is much smaller and more efficient than classic linear ones. In addition to that, it doesn't have this 50 Hz hum, as the operating frequency is higher than 100 kHz. I know that sometimes it can produce a high-frequency noise, so I used a comprehensive filtering of the output voltages. There is a "magic eye" tube (6E5C) on the front panel for indication, but it's just a nice looking gimmick :). I ordered PCBs in China and it took around 10 days for them to get delivered to my place. 

And finally, a very important thing: the amp's appearance! I used brushed aluminium and jarrah wood as the main materials. The CNC routing was done here, in Australia. I gradually sanded the wood (the last sandpaper was 400 grit) and covered it with 4 layers of transparent lacquer to enhance the natural colour and to protect the wood. I also added copper pipes for steampunk appearance :). The labels on the rear panel were laser engraved. 

Overall, I'm very happy with this amp and I'm glad that I found some time to finish it. Both amps sound great. I prefer to use the tube one to listen jazz or blues while the solid state one is better (IMHO) for more bassy genres.

I'm thinking about making more of these, potentially customised and set up a little startup. Do you think it's worth a try?

electrofelis

Weird looking amp! What output transformers are used for the single-end 6V6 tubes? 

Interesting looking. Not sure if it’s a good looking interpretation of steam punk but kudos for going out on a limb. I’d appreciate it more if the astethics were based more on function than mere add ons to look the part. Dual amp is a good idea. Tubes look vulnerable and a bit unsafe. Chinese boards are a bit meh unless you’re thinking of low prices. With your skill maybe aim higher. More profit selling to the well-heeled.

I like it.  More old 60s dragster look than "steampunk" in my opinion.  I would bet Big Daddy Roth would be playing The Ventures cranked to 11 if given the chance.

Great craftsmanship and a well thought out design.

Love the 'magic eye', personally... *S*  It adds 'tech' to its' Spunk cred, which I've enjoyed some of the wildness that genre generates...

And if one desires a pilot light, it fills the bill and more. ;)

Not familiar with jarrah wood, but looks similar to mahoganey in my eyes.  I'd make the base a tad more 'agressive', but that's just my tastes showing...

"If you build them, will they come?"

Good question.... I've the same thoughts about my diys',  but know that speakers are subject to similiar critiques on technical issues AND the all-important WAFs when and when applicable.

And then....the cost.

Pricing anything so not to give it away v. making rent v. buying that M/Benz you fancy....

That, in itself, can make you crazy if not already.  'We' (Yours unruly, spouse, and staff) make play structures for kids that their parents pay for from concept to installation.

We're not cheap, but still experience the occasional project that can't manage 'breaking even' due to weather, unseen issues in the soil (like major boulders, roots, mud....I can rant more, but won't...), and the occasional employ that doesn't read drawings and/or HAD a 'better idea' that wasn't....

Just a dip in the reality pool...;)

Meanwhile.....enjoy your baby the way I do mine, 👍😃

Btw, 'that employee' doesn't work here anymore.

Present crewe does, and is doing much better without.... ;)