Favourite Guitarists

This discussion was inspired by the recent article about our 3 favourite female singers.

Because it was impossible for me to pick just three female vocalists ( I love women singers), I will not put a limit as to how many you wish to vote for. I limited myself to a dozen. However, if you list more that 50 I will seriously question your decision making skills.

In no particular order, except for Rory at number one.

1. Rory Gallagher

2. Peter Green

3. Roy Buchanan

4. Joe Bonamassa

5. David Gimour

6. Slash

7. Johnny Winter

8. Duane Allman

9. Stevie Ray Vaughn

10. Mark Knopfler

11. Glen Campbell

12. Guthrie Govan

128x128tony1954

@digsmithd 

As a guitarist i have been on the hunt for out side the box players

Nick Johnston's Remarkably Human is the best guitar album I've heard in 30 years. I didn't list him here because, as a guitarist myself, I judge based on skill with the instrument, not skill writing a tune, and while Johnston is very skilled (although not what I would call a virtuoso - I'm very picky with that term), this album is more of a compositional masterpiece.

For acoustic, anything by Ewan Dobson is a virtuosic treat and usually a little different than the norm. My favorite may be his self-titled album. Also, some albums from Estas Tonne.

If you're into progressive metal, Michael Romeo's War of the Worlds Part 2 is an epic cinematic compositional masterpiece with virtuosic guitar. Romeo's guitar skills are up there with the likes of Petrucci. And if any classical snobs think rock guys can't write symphonic cinematic music equal to the best the movie world has to offer, well, they are sadly mistaken. Romeo plays, programs and orchestrates all the instruments. Great vocals by Dino Jelusick.

Does Jack Johnson merit a mention or is he just a hippy surfer who is gifted at making cute songs that are more than competent?

On topic, yes, his pleasant and sometimes quirky guitar playing is a favourite of mine.

On deck this weekend- period presses from the late, great Jeff Beck

Truth

Beckola

Blow by Blow 

Wired

The Jeff Beck Group-   Jeff Bech Group &Rough and Ready

Yardbirds-For Your Love

Any remember "Guitar Boogie"? mashup with Clapton, Page and Beck?

LONG LIVE JEFF BECK!! 

One of the lead guitarists in the all-star lineup for the "great gig in the sky."

I cannot imagine omitting Hendrix, a king of guitar, as well as Jimmy Page. I would also add John Schofield, John Abercrombie, John McLaughlin, Carlos Santana, Steve Hackett, Greg Lake, Frank Zappa, Terje Rypdal, Ralph Towner, Bill Friesel, Pat Metheny. We should add Eric Clapton (and even George Harrison  not Benson - except his early jazz years, then he got too commercialized and more like a singer).

I would neither omit Joe Pass and Jim Hall, also Kenny Barrel. 

I agree on Gary Moore but he is a base player, as well as Eberhard Weber.