Grimm MU1 Streamer - Really "The Best"?

I've recently become interested in the Grimm MU1.  While reviews of top end players from Innuos, Aurender and Antipodes and others are typically all very positive, the tone of the many pro reviews of the Grimm MU1 go far, far beyond, with some reviews resorting to using superlatives and gushing of positive system transformation and not being able to stop listening to material, etc..  HiFi Advice and Steve Huff (actually calls it "magic") have such reviews.

Given the delay in availability of the Innuos Pulsar which I'm told will be better than my current Zenith Mk3 + PhoenixUSB reclocker, I am interested in replacing my streaming setup with a one-box solution that includes a high-precision clock.  The new streamer will continue to feed my Gryphon Diablo 300's DAC module, which I have no interest in replacing.

I'm actually a fan of Innuos, after they improved the sound of my Zenith with firmware updates and after I added their PhoenixUSB reclocker. I appreciate this commitment to improving sound quality which is why I was so interested in the Pulsar.

The trigger for considering an upgrade is not for improved sound, but rather, to solve some issues I have with too many Audioquest power cords coiled and clumped together. I will get to lose one of them and one of my USB cords with a one-box streamer. I've noticed my sound is very sensitive to positioning of my AC cords and find I often need to re-adjust the PC feeding my amp to get proper sounding vocals at center stage.  One of my subs also seems to be picking up AC noise when the crossover is set above 60Hz. The second trigger is simply system simplification, removing one box.  All that said I don't really have any complaints regarding sound, and the PhoenixUSB reclocker truly did improve the sound of my Zenith.

While the Grimm MU1 has it's 4X upsampling up it's sleeve with reviewers absolutely glowing over this feature and it's extreme ability to separate tones to the left, right, front, and back far better than the rest, I don't see that Grimm has gone to any lengths with regard to power supply management in the way other brands do including Innuos. The MU1's ultra-simplistic interior doesn't bug me, but the lack of transformers and power management makes me wonder....

Are there any updates from folks who have directly compared the MU1 vs similarly classed streamers from the competition?  Did you find it to be as revelatory as the pro reviewers found it? And, how does it compare to other streamers with it's 4X upsampling disabled?  Does it sound like it suffers from it's lack of power management?  I do see that the clock should be very good...

nyev

Direct fair comparisons of streamers is extremely difficult to undertake. What dac streamer is partnered with extremely critical as best port for rendering is unique to each streamer, same goes for dac. Optimal matching means best port on streamer to best port on dac. For instance, Antipodes claims AES/EBU is best port, is this best port on any particular dac it's partnered with? Other streamers claim USB, I2S, in that case usb or I2S should be optimal port on dac.

In regard to general reviews, streaming setups so variable, and likely unique, to point they may hold little value for you. Has network been optimized, what about ISP quality, music player software, optimization of OS, and I could go on.

I believe proper integration or matching  of streamer to dac is seriously undervalued at this point in time.  Quality of rendering is one of the most critical operations in streaming, matching optimal rendering ports on streamer and dac is absolutely necessary in order to hear full potential of any streaming setup. Far too many reviews don't evaluate streamers in their best light, leave out comparisons of different ports to optimal ports on dacs.

In evaluating streamers on their own, I pay very close attention to how rendering is implemented within streamer, dedicated power supply and clocking on dedicated board is optimal, ports coming directly off motherboard subject to higher noise and less than optimal clocking.

@sns

Wise counsel and perspective by you that is par for the course. I understand the wish for an ideal comparison that would unequivocally sort out all of the upper echelon servers. This just isn’t realistic precisely for the reasons you logically presented. Simply too many variables involved.

Charles

@sns

Well said and spot on. Even the software used for playback has enormous impact. If comparing Innuos to Grimm, be sure the Innuos gear used Sense, not Roon.

Better cabling, footers, fuses etc… all can greatly impact a specific player. Simply too many variables involved for absolutes.

I recently added a $195 SR Purple fuse to my Innuos Zenith and the sonic results were spectacular. I mean shockingly so. This one variable changed so much. My dac sounds best using USB and I have a wonderful sounding USB cable. The Grimm unit is very intriguing, but I cannot use it as its USB output is not very good. So many unique system variables to consider. 

@grannyring indeed, the Grimm USB ports are normal, computer quality USB. The AES output which takes advantage of the Grimm clocking/proprietary upsampling et al are otherworldly.

You and I once had identical digital server setups with the Zenith Mk3 and Sense. It is very, very good. Quite possibly, the Zenith Mk3 utilizing Sense may just be where chasing any more performance activates the steepest law of diminishing returns known to mankind. All the best to you....

Bill (grannyring) you and sns  emphasize a sometimes overlooked/underappreciated factor which is optimization of signal connection of both the server and DAC. When people say AES is better than USB or RCA SPDIF (Or vis versa) or I2S is better than all others etc. This is not necessarily true. You need to know what the manufacturer deemed the optimized signal connection for the given unit. As we all acknowledge, there are a multitude of important variables that demand thought/consideration.

Charles