Why don't higher end amplifiers come with a separate power chassis?

Many higher end preamplifiers come with separate power boxes, but I don't see amplifiers with separate boxes, any idea why this might be?

emergingsoul

@larry5729 "Why do amplifiers come with such cheap power cords.  The power cords they come with might cost $5."

Because the manufacturers know power cords make no difference to sound quality.  They surely have tested.  They don't need or want to waste money on components that cannot improve their product.  They package a good quality regular power cord usually of heavy gauge.  That is all that is required.

Those who wish to spend good $$$$ for no good reason may purchase after-market power cords at whatever price level makes them feel happy.

@larry5729 

Or, to put it another way.  Who knows more about power cords - major amp manufacturers who have been successfully in the market for decades, famous names, that employ dozens of qualified and imaginative engineers, or guys that post here in AG?

@clearthinker

Yawn, and by the way: what‘s this got to do with the topic of this thread? At least get into the relationship between power cable and umbilical, if you must.

@antigrunge2 

I am replying to @larry5729 who posted as I quoted.

Just as I am doing you the courtesy to reply to you.

Back on point, another reason why power amps don't have separate power supply chassis is because of the cost of complicated multi-strand umbilicals.

And another, these big chassis take up a lot of floor space that many of us can use more profitably and they should not be stacked because of the heat.

There.  Happy now?

@clearthinker

much better now. Did the thought occur that manufacturers may include a piece of wire fully well knowing that buyers will chose their own PCs? I very much doubt that any of them would label the generic as recommended. They certainly chose aftermarket cables when demonstrating their wares at shows, and btw: why might that be?