Cables from amp to preamp or longer speaker cables…

So today I was in the room that I’m setting up for dedicated listening. Speakers will be at the front of the room and sofa will be at the other end. I dug out a pair of expensive speaker cables I had from many years ago and discovered they are only about six feet long. This would be ok if I had my rig set up behind the speakers but I want to sit on that sofa at the far end of the room (12 feet away) and have my Benchmark DAC 3 HGC beside me so I can plug headphones in occasionally……do I buy long speaker cables (probably expensive), or would I place my amp behind the speakers and run long cable from that to the preamp beside the sofa and if so would this long cable create any issues?

thomastrouble

Apparently it’s important to use quality speaker cables - I was a bit skeptical about this and thought it was all sales BS until I read a thread on the “cables” forum where everybody was in agreement that quality speaker cables are very important…..is this the case also with the XLRs?

I’ve also read that the subwoofer cable is not important at all and a cheap one gets the job done

I would buy a headphone extension cable, and put the other equipment where it should be behind the speakers. Use the remote from the couch

thomastrouble

You will likely discovery the stage will be better, a deeper stage with your equipment off to the side as you’re thinking. If you can’t run balance I wouldn’t sweat it too much but you might need a well shielded cable or one with the geometry to cancel outside noise. I think you’re better with quality speaker cables, and if you have to watch the budget step down on your IC’s. There’s plenty of good really good affordable IC’s out there. If the runs are real long I would suggest Canare or Mogami. If you can run balance then that’s better, and again if the runs are long look at Canare and Mogami which are both great cables especially for the money. Keep your sources if you can off to the side and amp or amps low between or behind your speakers so they don’t interact with stage between the speakers as it will affect both depth to the front and back.

You can always try it both ways and compare, although a lot of work. Try all your equipment on the front wall for a few days, then off to the side. My guess is you will prefer the later. You’ll want to play with speaker placement because what works for the first setup might not for the other. Good luck and trust your ears, not ours.