What is the best way to clean Vinyl?

TIA

128x128jjbeason14

Ultrasonic is head and shoulders above any other method. I previously used Recor Doctor vacuum with wet wash. 

But it is unbelievable how quiet my LPs became after ultrasonic.  Ultrasonic even removed a lot of vinyl scraps from the grooves of brand new, never before played LPs of mine.

Do an ultrasonic cleaning and you will never bother with any other method.  

Just beware that "wall wart" powered Ultrasonic machines like the Humminguru and all of the even cheaper knockoffs you see on Amazon do NOT provide in any way, the same level of small bubble formation and cavitation and cleaning that "real powered" ultrasonics do. Try one if you want, but if your results are "so-so" don’t blame it on ultrasonic cleaning not working, but rather on the lackluster properties of said machine. It’s like if you want to take photographs. You can do "ok" with a cheap cellphone or you can buy a DSLR and get much better results.

Yeah, "real powered" ultrasonics cost more (a lot more), but then they give the benefit of the actual cleaning method as DESIGNED. I use a homemade motorized vacuum system myself (uses the $30 Vinyl Vac as the basis of it, and cost around $300 all in) and feel the results are "good enough" for me, as vinyl only accounts for about 20% of my listening.

The Humminguru might be "ok" for brand new albums, but I wouldn't expect it to do much on used albums you find at yard sales, thrift stores, or some local record stores that sell used items.  For those you need something more, maybe a cheap Spin Clean to augment it. 

Finally, if you are new to the hobby of vinyl, understand that cleaning gets rid of gunk and junk in the grooves for less snaps, crackles, and pops, but it can't work miracles on records that are actually scratched. 

Agree US do a great job at cleaning BUT are a PITA to use. Bought a Kirmuss but after a short time it sat unused. Sold it and bought a Keith Monks and have been very happy

rsf507

US do a great job at cleaning BUT are a PITA to use.

That’s why there are units such as the Klaudio (and Audiodesk). The one-button simplicity and ease-of-use simply can’t be beat.

@mijostyn My numero uno recommendation is to clean the stylus after every LP side is played. I’ve been doing that for 45 years with a brush, liquid every 25-50 plays and using a Magic Eraser occasionally now for 15 years. My Benz Ruby3 lasted nearly 2500 hours and tracked beautifully, but it lost all it’s dynamics at the end (on a modified SME IV arm).

I have 28,500 LPs. Most were purchased used. Most are very quiet. A scratch does sound. Pops and clicks sound (sometimes subtle, sometimes obtrusive).  Bad vinyl in my system and several friends systems has various levels of low noise but the music overwhelms the background noise that it is generally irrelevant (guests frequently comment is it a CD we are listening to).

I used to have considerable record noise prior to obtaining a high end analog system. Four friends own Dynavector cartridges and I went back to that company’s 20X2L which is a perfect match for my Zesto Allesso SUT as well as directly into my preamp’s 100 ohm input for MC.

I first recommend a less expensive alternative (not cheap) which I’ve used for 31 years, the VPI RCM 16.5 (upgraded from a 16). Now using Disc Doctor fluid, multi-step wash and dry (3 minimum). or

I purchased a Kirmuss Ultrasonic (but do not change the water daily. I over the unit and unless there is debris from dirty old LPs, I continue using it for about 25 LPs). I noticed that it also cleans out gunk in damaged grooves, exposing noisy damaged surfaces as well. It typically enhances the sonics, even when there is increased noise. However, the noise level of bad vinyl does not intrude on the music. Example-I have several jazz Metro (MGM cheap label) LPs which are pressed on crappy vinyl with noisy surfaces. In my system, the music is so present that the noise is confined to a low level, unobtrusive shhhh. You’ll known it’s not digital or a CD but it will sound great (just heard The Mitchells Red, Whitey, And Blue* With Guest Artist, Andre Previn* – Get Those Elephants Out’a Here).

So, my most important recommendation is keep your stylus spotlessly clean.

Next, clean your records without creating any residue which contaminates your stylus.

Then, choose what you can afford to clean them.